Skip to main content

Tuesday Update: 09/26/06

Well, it has been a few days since Matt’s surgery, and he’s hanging in there. It has been a long few days for him. The surgery was pretty intense and really took a lot out of him. The doctor said he would be more sore than the typical patient and I’m looking at Matt now going ‘NO KIDDING!?’ His eyes are still incredibly red, and his eyelids are still somewhat swollen. They have gotten better, but he still looks pretty beat up. I called the 24 hour doctor number last night to ask about the texture of his eyes. The ‘whites’ of his eyes are also somewhat puffy and look like they are covered in red gel. I wasn’t sure if that was a common occurrence, so I called to ask. The doctor explained that in performing the surgery, they have to peel up the top layer of the eye, and when they put it back in place it is not uncommon for fluid/blood to build up underneath. He assured me that it will go down, and the fluid will reabsorb in time. I just hope he’s feeling better before the weekend. We have a busy and fun weekend planned with a party on Saturday night and also the annual Cruise to the Woods is on Sunday. We are both looking forward to both!

I was looking back recently to my post last year at this time about the cruise. It was so painful for me that day, thinking of how much Matt had been looking forward to going…missing it was so hard. I remember writing about the exhaust that was delivered to our house after he was admitted to the hospital…and how emotional I was over those stupid car parts. I am so grateful that we will be able to go on the cruise this year with our dear friends and family. Jay and Chad are going to take Matt up in the Trans Am, and I will bring Hope and little Matthew in our car. We will be hooking up with a group of other friends in Ankeny and the boys will merge in with the cruise then. I will take lots of pictures…it will be a great time, I’m sure! Matt wasn’t sure he wanted to go, because he can’t drive himself…but it will be so great to ride in the car and experience the fun with everyone else. Matt’s old buddy Derek is lining up a golf cart for him at the fair grounds in Fort Dodge, so he can drive him around the show! I can’t thank everyone enough for helping make this happen for Matt. He is so blessed with your friendship. You stand by him and make him feel like himself again…it is so important, and so special…I can’t really due it justice with words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Glimpse Into Open Adoption

If you had been a customer of the Longhorn Steakhouse on Highway 19 in Palm Harbor, FL last Sunday night, you may have seen two couples walking through the restaurant, oogling a sweet baby boy on the way to their table. You may have commented on how cute he was. You may have thought he looked a lot like the woman carrying him. You may have wondered about the man in the wheelchair. But you likely would not have assumed you’d be witnessing this baby’s biological parents sit down to dine with his adoptive parents. It’s a scene I’ve been playing over and over in my mind as I recount the wonderful experiences of our trip to Florida. The magnitude of that moment, that evening, will never be lost on me. It was incredible to be a part of – and I’m so very grateful we had it. We had met up with Ethan’s birthmother, L, earlier in the day. She hadn’t seen him since he was a few hours old and was anxiously waiting for us outside a local mall. As soon as we saw each other the tears welled up in o...

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a ...

Disney Wine & Dine ½ Marathon Weekend Part One – The Trip

First of all, I just want to say…we had the BEST time this weekend in Florida. Truly, truly…it was so wonderful. I can’t tell you how many times we stopped to look at each other throughout the weekend and reiterate how great a time we were having. It was one of the best weekends…EVER! Thursday we arrived in Orlando after a fairly uneventful trip through Memphis, in the early evening hours. It was warm and sunny and we were tickled to be on our way to our Disney resort. Now, neither Matt nor I have ever been super crazy about Disney. I mean, sure, when we were kids we liked certain Disney characters (and I could probably still sing every song from the Little Mermaid) but we weren’t really interested in the Disney park experience. Going to Disney to run this race, obviously wasn’t the motivation for me…it was running in honor of Matt…and the warm, sunny location was a happy side effect. We just planned to take it easy and have a relaxing weekend away (oh, and run a half marathon), but...