Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 01/18/06

Well, we had our appointments today and found out a lot of information. The angiogram showed that Matt does have a small AVM (Arteriovenous Malformation). This is a group of abnormal blood vessels. Part of the AVM ruptured, which then caused his hemorrhage. While we always knew this was a possible cause of the hemorrhage, we were never sure until now. Matt underwent an angiogram while in the hospital originally, however it did not show any malformations due to the increased swelling and blood in his brain…apparently it is not uncommon for these malformations to be hidden initially, which is why the Neurosurgeon wanted to follow up as he did a few months after the hemorrhage.

This is what we now know about Matt’s AVM:
· It is very small, but located in a difficult location to operate on.
· AVMs like Matt’s are unlikely to re-bleed, but it can happen. The likelihood of re-bleed is about 1% per year. Since Matt is so young, the chances of re-bleed increase overtime.
· There are 2 treatment options for Matt – surgery or radiation. Because the AVM is located in such a hard place to reach, the Neurosurgeon fears that possible complications resulting from surgery could be worse than if he did have another hemorrhage…so, he is recommending radiation.
· There is a new technology called Cyberknife available at Mercy Medical Center here in Des Moines. It allows for pinpointed radiation treatment to the exact area of the brain they are looking at, with little effect on the surrounding healthy tissue of the brain. It can attack the AVM from many angles, to ensure that it is as completely obliterated as possible. The patient usually has to undergo the treatment 1-5 times, depending on the case, and the radiation can take 12-18 months to fully take effect…but once it has, the AVM will be gone, never to return!

We are meeting with the doctor as Mercy on Monday, to discuss Matt’s AVM and to get more information on this radiation treatment. From what I’ve been told and read so far, this is the least invasive procedure, with little side effects, which should provide us the best results. The Neurosurgeon was very confident that given the small size of the AVM, we’ll be able to get it taken care of with this treatment and not ever have to worry about it happening again.

I know that a lot of you will be concerned…but please trust (as we do) that Matt will be fine. If anything, we feel a little relieved because now we know for sure what caused Matt’s bleed, where it is, and how to treat it. So, we both feel good that we’ll just do the treatment and move on…that then the AVM will be a thing of the past and we won’t have to worry about it happening again. Matt feels good. He says we’ll just do what we need to do to get through, and we’ll be fine. We both feel at peace with things. We have a good plan of attack, and know that God will see us through it. Of course, we’d rather not have to go through this at all…and we wish that the scan came back normal and fine. But, we are ok with the results we’ve received…and our faith will carry us through.

Comments

Hi Matt and Emily,

Neat pics and good information on the blog site!

Please let me know if there's a good time for me to stop by at the house ... will be gone next week to pick up my mom in NY and bring her to DM (Calvin Manor NH).

I can come by some evening (on a Tuesday except for the second Tue each month), or even on a Saturday afternoon if you have some free time.

We miss you at Westover Baptist Church! It was awesome to see you at Christmas Eve service in December!

Keeping both of you in my prayers,

Pastor Dean

Popular posts from this blog

I Was Born in a Small Town

So we’ve decided to move. We love Ankeny, our house, and our neighborhood so it’s a little bittersweet to think about moving, but ever since Ethan came along - oh how things have changed. When we set out to build a wheelchair friendly house for Matt nearly 9 years ago, we were mainly focused on the functionality inside the house. While of course we wanted the ease and function of zero grade entry, we also yearned for the freedom he would know in a house with wider doorways and room to maneuver the bulky chair. In our old house there were literally rooms he never went into, simply because he couldn’t get through. Our Ankeny home was a dream come true in so many ways. And it was lovingly planned out and put together by so many incredibly generous and thoughtful people. We were humbled time and time again with how things came together for us in that house. I’ll never forget coming home for the first time with Matt after our long, exhausting trip back from China. It was late, we were jet …

Where We're at…Right Now

This whole adoption thing is tough stuff, friends. It is a roller coaster ride like no other. And I have to be honest – I’m still not sure this will be it for us. I want to believe it is…but I’m just.not.sure. Matt and I were on our way to church yesterday, listening to the 90’s station when the cult classic ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ came on. We both giggled…and may have turned it up a tad. Near the end we both howled out a woooo-woooo in near perfect, spontaneous, unison with dear mullet headed Billy Ray. It made me laugh instantly and I blurted out ‘we’re so perfect together’. And honestly – we are.
That thought stuck with me all morning.  We.are.perfect.together.  What we have – our marriage, our friendship, our devotion and commitment to each other….they are priceless. Our union is a blessing. It is blessed. 100% meant to be. No doubt in my mind. There is no one on this planet who could ever know me like Matt. We have been through hell and back together. In the hospital, shortly after his …

Mother's Day Emotions

Mother’s Day weekend is coming and I’m finding myself all sorts of emotional – go figure. I think the anticipation of how I might feel on my very first Mother’s Day after so many years of hoping, waiting, and wondering sort of made it a bit anticlimactic. Or maybe I guarded my heart a little and didn’t fully let the magnitude of my emotions wash over me. Regardless, I find myself MUCH more emotional this time around.
Last night we watched a TV show about children growing up and moving out etc…and I actually cried. All those jerks who told me how fast children grow and how quickly the time moves…were right. Of course I feel how swiftly time moves the older I get…I blinked and now I’m in my (gulp) 40’s. But I simply could not have fathomed how I would feel about the amount of time I have to be Ethan’s mother. It feels finite. Fleeting. Just not enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Ethan grow! He is learning and changing and cracking me up all the time. He loves climbing, and runn…