Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 02/20/08

We’re on the countdown now…the countdown for the China trip and then the pending move. So much going on – I just haven’t had much time to stop and write. There are so many details to think about…and I find myself just wanting to sit and enjoy being ‘normal’ with Matt. Of course, those days and moments are fleeting…there is just too much to do. I feel pretty torn about it. I want to just enjoy the time we have together, but on the same time, I know I have to stay on top of the packing and preparations. Just think about all the arrangements that need to be made when moving…then add a trip to China in the midst…and don’t even get me started on returning home to an empty and packed up house. My head and heart are full of emotions…

Last week we celebrated Valentine’s Day quietly at home together. Of course, I had made the traditional heart shaped cookie…his favorite. This year I looked up the Chinese symbol for Love and put that on there. It’s always a challenge to put something new and creative on Matt’s Valentine’s cookie! I thought the Chinese was pretty clever, if I do say so myself. And it didn’t turn out too bad either! Go figure.

Saturday night we had a small get together with friends – one last little shin-dig before he leaves. We had a great time hanging out and catching up with everyone. I know Matt will sorely miss them all while he is gone, but is looking forward to having a big bash when he comes home with all of our friends and families. In fact, if you are reading this and want to come – please mark your calendar for June 7th. We’ll be having an all afternoon/evening come and go open house to welcome him home. He is already thinking ahead to that time and how much fun it will be to see everyone…and how much he hopes there are many changes to celebrate.

This week we are also making final arrangements to ship the Trans Am down to Florida. It will likely be gone in the next few days. While it is completely wonderful that we actually got it sold, and the money will be so timely for the trip and moving expenses…it will be so hard to watch it go. There are so many changes coming…I can’t truly express the way I feel about them. Bittersweet. I’m sure eventually there won’t be quite such a lump in my throat about it all…but right now, it feels kind of raw.

I look at this picture on my desk of Jay, Chad and Matt with the Trans Am and get pretty choked up. It’s not just the car…it’s the good times with the car, and with our friends. I see these friends, standing by Matt and I just swell with gratitude. Their love, their support, their true, true friendship – they mean so much to us both. I know that guys don’t say it…but observing them together; the laughter, the smiles, the knowing looks, the hand shakes, the shoulder squeezes…the feelings are evident to me. Saturday was just another shining example of the tremendous love and support he has from his friends. There is a lot of love there – and I am so grateful, so thankful. Matt and I are very blessed to have so many wonderful friends, and I’m glad we got to spend some time with a bunch of them on Saturday night. I can’t wait until we are all together again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have