Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 02/11/09

What a crazy couple of days. I had been intending to write about the exciting new car we purchased last week and all the silly and fun things we’ve been discovering about it…but all the excitement sort of fizzled when we had a health scare in the family. Monday night, just as we were sitting down to supper we received a phone call from George that his mother Dora was at the emergency room in Boone…she had appeared to have suffered a stroke. We had just been up to Boone on Saturday for an early birthday lunch with the family…and the memories of her smiling face and eternally friendly attitude were painfully fresh. Suddenly the thought that we could lose her overwhelmed us…

We have long realized we are incredibly blessed to have such healthy grandparents, but oh, it is so easy to take that good health for granted. Matt’s grandparents are in their late 80’s and yet live incredibly independent and full lives. I’ve always admired the pep in their steps…the twinkle in their eyes. I realized I’ve been a part of their family for half my life and have felt his grandparents were my own virtually all these years. They are so loving – and we both love them so very much. The reality that someday we won’t have our grandparents around…well, it’s just too hard to think about. I remember all too well the grief I felt at losing two of my grandpa’s. Mortality, and the fact that we’re all getting older, is a hard thing to accept sometimes.

We all congregated around Grandma at the hospital Monday night…worried, and uncertain of what her future held. She was not lucid…not responding to any of us. She was restless and irritable…very much not herself. It was hard to witness her discomfort and know that we couldn’t do anything to help, but pray. It was touching to see Grandpa be so gentle and loving towards her…to see him want so desperately to sooth and comfort her. He seemed a little lost. They had just had their 66th wedding anniversary…and to see his hands enveloping hers all I could think of was the many, many things those hands have been through together over the years. They are the foundation of this family, for sure…and they have raised such a wonderful family – for which I know they feel immense pride. I’ll never forget how Grandma carried herself on our wedding day. Her head held high, her shoulders back…she was so proud of us getting married…but probably more proud of her beautiful flock taking up several rows in the church. All her children and all of their children had traveled from many states to be there that day and she just beamed with pride. I don’t think she knows any greater joy than her faith and her family.

We stayed close by all evening Monday, finally heading home after 10:30. We tried to sleep, but were consumed with thoughts of the unknown…and what the future would hold for Grandma. When we got up Tuesday morning, we heard from Lissa that Grandma was awake and seemed to be doing better…so we decided to head back up there and be with family again. As we made our way to her room, we were cautiously optimistic of what we might see there…but we could not have prepared ourselves for how wonderful she looked, sounded, and WAS! She turned to see us come in the room and was so happy to have us there! She greeted us, talked with us…as though nothing had happened. It was amazing! She had no memory of the previous days’ events and, other than being tired, really felt fine! I couldn’t believe it. I still can’t. Having seen how she was on Monday night, I never could have imagined she could rebound so quickly and so completely. She was telling stories about old friends and family just like always…her stories never sounded so sweet. Matt and I smiled at each other knowingly. Grandma was really ok. God answers prayer. We are so very thankful! The doctors were thinking perhaps she had a prolonged TIA, as she’s had small ones off and on over the years…but I’m not sure if anything definite has been determined at this point. They were running tests yesterday afternoon and right now I’m not sure all the details. I think they’ll have her follow up with a Neurologist, and may change some of her medications…but overall, I think she’s going to be ok. Amazing. I think she’ll be able to go home soon, and Grandpa is going to hire someone to come in and do some things around the house a little more for her…but I’m not sure she’s convinced she needs that. Which, oh, that just makes me smile. Grandma…who never likes to make a fuss… She is a precious blessing to me, personally…and to everyone who knows her. I’m just so very grateful that we’ve been given more time with her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have