Skip to main content

Thursday Update: 05/07/09

Well, another week has come and gone and things are starting to return to normal around here. It’s been a tough week, knowing the futures of so many people are uncertain at this moment, but the sense of upheaval and turmoil is starting to simmer back down. I left work early last Friday to try and refresh my focus and priorities…to remind myself of the many, many things which are completely out of my control…and to fix my gaze on those things which I can control. I had the perfect opportunity to do that at the Women of Faith event that Hope and I went to Friday and Saturday. It was just what I needed…to help me adjust my attitude and remind myself that even in the midst of trials and uncertainty, we can breath easier, knowing that our future is in His hands. Steven Curtis Chapman was there Friday night and gave a wonderful performance. His family suffered an unthinkable tragedy nearly 1 year ago, when one of his adopted daughters from China was accidentally hit and killed by one of his older children. He spoke of how many of his songs took on new meaning to him personally after going through such a terribly dark time…and that even though he has so many questions and cannot understand why this would happen…all he can do is trust in God’s promises. That message spoke clearly to me that night. In the midst of my own personal struggles with the direction our lives have taken, I have many times clung to those promises and thankfully we have made it through our darkest points stronger as well. My hope is that those struggling right now can find a way to face the uncertainties in life in faith.

Saturday was such a beautiful day that Matt and I went out tree shopping after the conference. It was fun for me, of course, to look at the trees and try to narrow down which ones to buy. Matt was able to get out at one of the places and I pushed him around to see them up close. It was so good to just contemplate what we want to do TOGETHER! It’s not the same as it would have been before, but every time we are able to do something like this together it just feels so darn good to me. I know that just a few years ago, we wouldn’t have ventured out like that. This week we’ve also had several beautiful evenings that we’ve enjoyed together; we’ve grilled out, ate our first supper of the season on the deck, and I even took Matt out to walk around the neighborhood. We explored further down the walking paths, and I challenged myself to push him up several big hills. Taking him out for these walks is so good in so many ways – I hope we do a lot of it this summer!

Matt’s been busy at home as well. He’s come up with his own routine with the bike and has been heading down there to workout most days. I know he’s getting a great workout from the bike, and I know it just feels good to him to be able to get active again and build up some more strength. We also had a follow up appointment this week with the Neurologist just to check in on things. We had stopped taking the latest tremor medication a few weeks ago. She had us slowly increase the dosage and while it didn’t really seem to be helping the tremor, it was also making Matt feel off. He was quite sluggish and felt like everything was in slow motion. Needless to say, neither of us wanted him to feel like that. So, nothing new on the tremor front. In the meantime we just tolerate it the best we can. Maybe someday it will disappear as quickly as it showed up…we can only pray!

We’re looking forward to this weekend and having more time together to work in the yard and enjoy this beautiful spring. Just trying to remember all the good, good, GOOD things...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have