Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 11/11/09

I found out recently that an old friend of mine has breast cancer. It’s pretty shocking to know someone in my age group going through something this, well, scary. I think sometimes I somehow separate myself and Matt from groups of people who’ve gone through major life changing experiences…I don’t always acknowledge how profoundly different our own life is from what it once was…or how most everyone we know lives today. It must be because I strive to always see the good in our situation…to project to the world, and to myself, how normal we really are…even though how not ‘normal’ our life really is. I think about all the things that my friend will be going through in the coming weeks and months and it really just kind of shakes your core. Amy and I have both been impacted by the news of our mutual friend’s cancer journey…and as a friend you just feel so helpless. One way Amy thought we could show our love and support, and possibly achieve some personal goals, was to train for and run the Race for the Cure 5 K next year.

Now anyone who knows me KNOWS that my personal mantra on running is that I only run when being chased…and probably only if the chaser is carrying a chainsaw. But talking about it with Amy, I started to think…maybe…I…could. I haven’t written much, if anything, about my own personal health journey I’ve been on in recent months. I’ve always kind of been guarded about things like health, weight, exercise etc…not a favorite topic for me. However, I’ve made some significant changes…and I’m guessing it probably shows. I’ve lost 65 pounds. And as I began to read and think about beginning a program to train myself to be a runner…a small little flicker of something started inside. Was it excitement? What is this!?! Me, excited to run?? Huh? I don’t think I know who I am anymore. Honestly, the thought of running at all just NEVER interested me at ALL…in the least. When I think of running I immediately think of the dreaded physical fitness test in school…I shudder to think of it. But for some reason I just started thinking that after all the changes I’ve made recently, and as healthy as I’ve become, I think I’m up to the challenge…and I’m going for it.

I started training this week…a program that teaches you to be a runner, gradually. Last night I sat down to talk to Matt about my first work out…and while he was happy and supportive, I could sense something was bothering him. As we talked, he admitted…he is jealous. He wishes he could do it with me. Wishes he could get out there and run…or ride a bike…or do some sort of exercise like a normal person. I have to be honest – in all my wildly unexpected excitement to start this challenge; I hadn’t even considered that he might feel envy. It’s just another of those frustrating moments when you just wish, with every fiber of your being that somehow, someway he’d have a physical breakthrough and be able to do what you and I take for granted everyday. That he could just stand up and take off walking, or running. It’s just so, SO frustrating. We’re glad he has the set up in our basement to go down and ride his recumbent bike…but to actually ride a bike out on the street, or on a path…would be too risky. If it’s not his balance, it’s his coordination, or his lack of control, or his slow response time…they all just conspire against him all the time. It’s so completely unfair…but at the end of the day, what can you do? You can be upset…sad, frustrated, angry, jealous and feel so bad for yourself…but nothing, NOTHING good is going to come from that thinking. And so we do our best to brush it off and move on. Matt will be there to support me as I try something new and challenging…and he will be there on the sidelines to cheer me on when I do finish my first race…and even if he has a twinge of jealousy, I know he won’t let that flicker grow into a flame…he’ll quash it, like always. Because ultimately we both know that there is always, much to be thankful for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have