Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 12/09/09

Holy Blizzard, Batman!!!

So, we’re in the midst of what could go down as one of the storms of the century! It’s hardly December, we’ve hardly begun to think about winter being upon us and then WHAMO…here it is! I can’t believe the forecasters were actually right this time…whenever they predict big snow, we rarely see it come to fruition. But this time…yep…a foot of snow, easy. I can’t help but think back to this past Saturday when Amy and I met to run on the path around the lake near her house…it was cold, but sunny and it felt good to run outside. Um, I think my days of running outside may be over for the winter! To top it all, we are running in our first 5K this Saturday! I have no doubt that the route will be clear and we’ll be able to run it without incident…the snow will sure make it festive!! And I’m sure Blake and Matt will thoroughly enjoy sitting at the finish line waiting for us in the cold and snow! Ahh…true love and support.

This past Saturday Matt and I had Matthew and Meghan overnight…BOTH of them…OVERNIGHT people. It was the first time Matthew was here overnight. It was an adventure, to say the least. The kids weren’t bad…they are just…kids. Busy, busy kids. They quickly reminded us how NOT used to having busy kids around we are! I felt like I was spinning from one thing to the other…’don’t touch that’, ‘stop doing that’, ‘what’d you say?’, ‘where did you go?’, ‘leave the dog alone’, ‘sit up and eat your dinner’, ‘yes, that is a tractor’. We made cinnamon ornaments for their Christmas trees together, played, watched a little football, and a Christmas movie. When they went home Sunday morning Matt and I collapsed on the couch and just looked at each other…we both agreed that maybe it is ok that it’s just the two of us. We have a pretty good thing going…leave it to those little rascals to remind us yet again how fortunate we are. Of course we love Meghan and Matthew, more than we can ever fully say, but it was good to get back to normal after they left too.

We went through my cookbooks and picked out cookie recipes to make for Christmas. The past few years, I’ve gotten more excited about baking Christmas cookies and Matt loves to look at the recipes with me and vote for his favorites to be made. It’s a fun little tradition of sorts that we’ve developed these past few years, and it tickles me a little to sit together discussing which cookies to make. I went and got ingredients and started baking Sunday afternoon while we watched a couple of our favorite Christmas movies. It was a lovely afternoon and evening, spent laughing and enjoying the smells and tastes of Christmas together. We’ve been making all our Christmas plans and I’m starting to get really excited for all the fun times we’re planning with family and friends. I miss my parents so much and can’t wait to see them!! I do believe this will be a wonderful Christmas season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have