Skip to main content

Thirty Four

So I turned thirty four last week. A week ago today. Thirty four. Sounds weird. Seems weird…and yet, not really that big of a deal. It’s weird to say that it’s been almost 16 years since I graduated from high school, and over 11 years since we got married, and almost 2 years since we moved into our new house. Time marches on and the years keep sweeping by…and yet, I feel mostly the same. Is it true that you’re only as old as you feel? Cuz I’m not sure 34 feels any differently to me. I’m officially in my mid-thirties now, there’s no denying that…but I think 34 feels ok. I’m ok with 34.

I look back at the changes in our lives the past few years and how dark some of those days were at the end of my 20’s and beginning of my 30’s. I think about the happy early days when we were first married and smile. Just a couple of kids. Our road has been bumpy, surely bumpier than most people our age…but it has been good. I guess I feel right now, that we are in a good place. I like my 30’s. They’ve been good to me, so I really can’t complain.

The Saturday before my birthday we went out with Hope and Chad. We had a delicious meal at the Cheesecake Factory followed by a movie. It is always good to hang out with them without the kids. Not that we don’t love the kids, obviously they are undeniably precious to us, but spending time with Hope and Chad alone is always a good time. Even if Chad gives me tons of crap for the way I drive. He’s just jealous of my mad driving skills!

The next day we had a birthday lunch with Matt’s family at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants up in Ames. It did not disappoint! Of course I took my actual birthday off, and spent it with Matt. While I wasn’t able to make plans to visit my parents this year…I did talk to my Mom on my birthday. I really hope next year we can be together. Even at 34 I still want to celebrate with my parents. I’m sure this will always be the case. I really don’t see myself as being one of those 50 somethings who just pooh-poohs her birthday like it’s no big deal. I will always want to celebrate it…even if just a little…with friends and family.

Of course it snowed the day before my birthday so naturally I had to get up and snow blow the driveway on my birthday. But, I was determined not to let that most loathsome of tasks prevent me from being happy and having a great day with Matt! We got around and went to the mall. It’s funny, the past few years, Matt has admitted he actually doesn’t mind going to the mall with me. WEIRD, I know! He just hangs out patiently while I peruse items and try things on. We also wander through men’s departments too and sporting goods stores…so don’t feel TOO sorry for him being stuck outside my dressing room at the Gap. We stopped and got frosted cookies to have as my official birthday treat and just had a great time hanging out together. After the mall we went to a matinee and then picked up a pizza for supper on the way home. Ahh…it was a good, good birthday!! I had a great day off with Matt, enjoyed celebrating with our families, and made sure I kept up my workouts to make up for it!!! Of course it is easy to keep up the running with the new Rocky t-shirts that Matt gave me and my new Rocky Balboa greatest hits cd! I mean, who could stop themselves from running when listening to Eye of the Tiger!? What can I say, the Italian Stallion inspires me!! He’s helping me train for my next 5K, coming up on the 13th of February.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have