Skip to main content

Nothing but Blue Skies

Oh what a wonderful long holiday weekend we had; fun with around the house, working in the yard, enjoying plenty of sunshiny deck time, s’mores with friends, and a leisurely drive around the lake. The weather was delightful; the days sprawled out long and uneventful…making it hard to come back to the real world this morning! However, with several exciting adventures awaiting us on the horizon, there’s a little extra spring in my step today.



Over the past few months, I’ve sort of had this idea in my mind that I may try and run a road race each month of 2010…weird, I know. So, I’m always looking ahead at upcoming races to see what’s out there that I might want to run in. In the back of my mind, I was really hoping to find a run that would hit a little closer to home. Something perhaps geared towards brain injuries, or strokes. With a little bit of internet sleuthing, I found a run for the American Stroke Association! Turns out there is a program geared towards raising money for the organization; the Train to End Stroke program. Basically it is a training/fundraising program to raise money for the American Stroke Association. Participants who meet the fundraising goals have their race fees/travel/hotel expenses paid for! And this year’s race is in Orlando - at Disney to be more accurate…at night! Cool, right?

I thought long and hard about it…because there is a fundraising component...and it was a HALF MARATHON! 13.1 miles! YIKES! Could I reach the goal? Could I run that far? I pondered it for a while. Then, reading the stories of others who participated, I got to thinking…why not me?? I’ve wanted to run in a race that held a deeper meaning to me personally for a while, and this could be the perfect opportunity to push my running to the next level. I talked to Matt about it and he was on board and seemed excited to travel to Orlando to watch me finish the race. Most importantly…I felt motivated way, deep down…to run in his honor, to do something to show in a very concrete way how much I admire him, and to raise money to help other families who’ve been impacted like us. It feels a little weird to ask for money to fund my run…but the responses are so humbling and touching…they motivate me even more. I think it really just reminds me…reminds us both actually…how our story has touched others. It feels so good to run with a purpose in mind…not just to reach my personal goals (if I HAD any to shoot for)…but to run inspired. Inspired by Matt. Inspired by other families who’ve been to hell and back and chose to keep putting one foot in front of the other and look ahead in hope to the unknown future. I know I have a long road (literally) ahead of me in my training…but thinking ahead to the moment I approach the finish line of my first HALF MARATHON and see that familiar face sitting there waiting for me...gosh I can’t hardly wait. I want to make him proud. I want him to see how much I love him, support him, and honor how he lives his life.
I hope that if you’re reading this, and you’ve known our story at all, you would support me in this run…through your prayers, e-mails, thoughts…and if you are able…a contribution to help fund my run.
http://ttes.disneyhalf2010.kintera.org/efkarwoski

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have