Skip to main content

Fat Girl

I used to be fat. I’m not gonna lie. Tip toe or skirt around it. I’m tough enough to handle it now.
This is a fact that I’ve come to accept about myself. I know I resisted it for more years than I care to admit to. Pretending that I wasn’t THAT big. Or that my weight wasn’t THAT out of control. I had a husband who adored me regardless of my shape or size. I had a family who supported me in all my endeavors and never said anything negative about my size. I had friends who were in my same boat, struggling with an ever increasing pant size. I cringed when I saw myself in pictures, but I went about my daily business as though nothing I was doing was contributing to it. With each changing season, I was frustrated to find my clothes snug. I halfheartedly attempted to drop some weight now and then…starting and stopping when I tired of it all. Eventually, I settled in at a size 18, tipping the scales at over 225 lbs. At barely 5’3”…I was in that dreaded ‘morbidly obese’ category on the height/weight chart. But even that didn’t really mean what it should have to me. I was blind to some very basic facts. Namely…I did not HAVE to be fat. That I could, in fact, change.
A few years ago, after Matt came back from China and we were settled in our new house I finally felt ready to face facts. I began tracking my food online and I agreed to meet Gina and Jami a few days a week to ‘work out’. Of course, my early work outs consisted of walking on a treadmill. Jami still reminds me of my stubborn attitude in the beginning…claiming that I really didn’t sweat much. Insisting that I would only run when chased. Honestly I think I was afraid to push myself…to let myself down if I didn’t meet my expectations. In fact, I sold myself WAY short.
As the months went by, my workouts increased in intensity and low and behold, I realized I actually DO sweat! (In fact, quite a bit!) I also discovered I could actually run…a little. Amy and I started the Couch Potato to 5K running program and taught our bodies that we wouldn’t DIE if we ran. As I committed to eating healthier and continued my regular workouts…the pounds drifted off and my size shrank.
I amazed myself by putting on my high school prom dress. I surpassed all my expectations by completing 5K after 5K. I found myself ENJOYING the rush I felt crossing a finish line…the pride I felt surrounded by other would be runners out on a Saturday morning running around Des Moines. I laughed when I considered myself in this group. I didn’t recognize myself. I dropped over SEVENTY pounds and FIVE pants sizes. I am right now actually the same size, if not smaller than I was when Matt and I first met…19 years ago. I remember watching the Biggest Loser – one of the contestants, local from Des Moines. She finished her first ½ marathon crying and saying how she just became the girl she always wanted to be. I remember feeling that same way as I pushed myself across the finish lines of TWO half marathons.
It’s a silly shame that I wasted so much of my adult life selling myself short. I didn’t realize what I was capable of. This past summer I started training with a small group personal training class through work. I learned all sorts of new things. I gained a whole new comfort and confidence in the weight room…a place this fat girl avoided like the plague. But my trainer saw something in me I hadn’t yet seen…strength. She saw me as a natural…someone who picked up on all the moves easily. One day she told me I was…an…ATHLETE. I almost cried. I’m not sure she realized how that simple comment touched me so deep inside. It made me think about myself differently. I looked at all my excuses in the face. I saw all the ways I had sold myself short. And I decided. Decided I COULD be athletic. I could…and I would. Normally all this is stuff I share with only my closest of friends…but as we prepare for a new year, I know that there are bound to be lots of you out there considering weight loss and better health for 2012. And I want to do what I can, share what I can, to encourage everyone I know and love to CHOOSE, to DECIDE and make it happen. I am a work in progress, just like you. I know my body isn’t perfect. I know my weight will always be heavier than those silly height/weight charts say I should be. But no matter. I AM healthy. I AM an athlete. I am a girl who works out. I am a girl who runs (even if it’s SLOW). I am a girl who completed 20 races in 24 months! I am a girl changed. And I know, I KNOW it can be done. So if you are struggling. If you want 2012 to be the year you finally make those changes once and for all, I’m here to say you CAN! YOU CAN! And I hope that my sitting here and admitting this to the world helps in some small way. Life is simply too short and God intended us all to live it fully! I am blessed with legs that run, and lungs that breathe, and eyes that see all the beauty around me. And at the end of a grueling workout, I am blessed to hop in the shower and let the water and rush of accomplishment fall around me. I wish this feeling for everyone!!

Comments

Emily said…
It's amazing what you have accomplished! We can use our stubborn resolve to handicap ourselves or to transform our lives. Kudos for all you have accomplished!

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

A Glimpse Into Open Adoption

If you had been a customer of the Longhorn Steakhouse on Highway 19 in Palm Harbor, FL last Sunday night, you may have seen two couples walking through the restaurant, oogling a sweet baby boy on the way to their table. You may have commented on how cute he was. You may have thought he looked a lot like the woman carrying him. You may have wondered about the man in the wheelchair. But you likely would not have assumed you’d be witnessing this baby’s biological parents sit down to dine with his adoptive parents. It’s a scene I’ve been playing over and over in my mind as I recount the wonderful experiences of our trip to Florida. The magnitude of that moment, that evening, will never be lost on me. It was incredible to be a part of – and I’m so very grateful we had it. We had met up with Ethan’s birthmother, L, earlier in the day. She hadn’t seen him since he was a few hours old and was anxiously waiting for us outside a local mall. As soon as we saw each other the tears welled up in o

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the mon