Skip to main content

A Big Loss

Davy Jones died today.

I know that many of you aren’t even sure who Davy Jones is…and those of you, who do know, will find it odd that I should care. But as I sat down to eat my lunch and saw the headline on the internet, I had to fight to hold back a few tears. It’s not that I knew him personally or anything like that. I realize he wasn’t family or a family friend even…but to the 12 year old girl inside me – he was huge. I instantly thought of how I felt a few summers ago as we listened to him sing at the state fair. I remember how giddy I was when he flashed that adorable smile, at the sound of his voice, his wonderful English accent, and those old familiar songs – which I knew (and happily sang) word for word. Matt patiently sat nearby, drenched from the thick summer air while I danced and giggled and clapped my hands. Hearing those favorite tunes from my youth instantly transported me back in time and I couldn’t help but beam with joy from deep, deep within. You have to know, I simply adore the Monkees – always have, always will.

My mother will never let me live down the time I nearly ruined the family trip to Valleyfair in Minneapolis – throwing an epic fit that only a 12 year old can throw – when I was dragged away from the show on the hotel room TV to go play at the theme park. She can also attest to the hundreds of Monkee photos and albums which adorned my childhood bedroom. I’m sure it was an oddity to her as well, that I was so enamored with a band from her own time. My very first Monkee album (which of course I still have) was one that she had purchased herself back in the day. I used to play them on my record player…all.the.time. Back before we had a VCR, I would sit with my little tape recorder next to the TV so that I could record their show and listen to it later. I loved them that much. Their humor – right up my alley. Their music – struck a chord. My childhood friend Allison and I would sign all our notes and scribblings to each other MFF…Monkees Fan Forever. And truly – I think we both lived up to the nickname. When we were in our early 20’s we finally saw our beloved Monkees in concert – after and ICubs game in Des Moines. We danced and sang and followed them around like true groupies – getting autographs and everything! We even stalked their limo to the Marriott and tried to figure out which floor they were on. Such was our Monkee Mania.

Hearing the news that Davy passed makes my heart ache in a weird way, that I wasn’t expecting. Just knowing that they’re not out there, somewhere, Monkee-ing around seems wrong. Knowing that I’ll never get to see them all together in concert again – breaks my heart. A piece…a big, giant chunk of my happy youth has passed and that makes me really, really sad. I know there won’t be crazy media frenzy surrounding his passing, like so many other recent celebrity deaths. His story isn’t sensational, it isn’t trashy and full of tabloid rumors. I’m sure by the end of the day his headline will have been moved to a link somewhere further down the page…but this girl will always remain a true Monkee Fan Forever.

Comments

Emily said…
If you were surprised at your sadness, clearly no one else was.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

A Glimpse Into Open Adoption

If you had been a customer of the Longhorn Steakhouse on Highway 19 in Palm Harbor, FL last Sunday night, you may have seen two couples walking through the restaurant, oogling a sweet baby boy on the way to their table. You may have commented on how cute he was. You may have thought he looked a lot like the woman carrying him. You may have wondered about the man in the wheelchair. But you likely would not have assumed you’d be witnessing this baby’s biological parents sit down to dine with his adoptive parents. It’s a scene I’ve been playing over and over in my mind as I recount the wonderful experiences of our trip to Florida. The magnitude of that moment, that evening, will never be lost on me. It was incredible to be a part of – and I’m so very grateful we had it. We had met up with Ethan’s birthmother, L, earlier in the day. She hadn’t seen him since he was a few hours old and was anxiously waiting for us outside a local mall. As soon as we saw each other the tears welled up in o

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the mon