Skip to main content

Thoughts from the ‘Accessible’ Section

It’s no secret, Matt and I love college football. Already we are gearing up for our Football Saturday tradition, which starts in just a few weeks! We’re starting to make plans to ensure we don’t have any plans, so our Saturdays will be free for our all day/all night football viewing pleasure. It is simply our favorite time of year!
The past few years, we've tried to get tickets to both an IA and an ISU game. We've missed a few games here and there, for various reasons, but this year we were all set to get tickets for both again. A few weeks ago I went online and ordered tickets for an IA game and within a few days they arrived in the mail. Our calendar is marked and we are excited for the upcoming trip to Kinnick Stadium…though I truly loath the long drive home, I am preparing to plan ahead a mini-tailgate back at the car after the game. Hopefully avoiding some of the post-game traffic horror that infuriated me last year.

Today I went online to see about tickets to an ISU game. Of course, I couldn't order ‘accessible’ tickets online…I had to call the ticket office. (insert long, unfruitful wait here)  After about 20+ minutes of waiting and listening to the recorded voice remind me again and again that you can always order tickets online, I hung up. Peeved. No, idiot recorded voice, I cannot simply order tickets online. And why not? Why must you make it MORE difficult for me to attend a game at my Alma Mater? I commenced stewing on this for a bit.

In Iowa there is a stiff rivalry between these two state schools. We catch a lot of flak from our friends who lean heavily (and quite loyally) to one side or the other when we toe the line in the middle most of the time. It’s true Matt tends to lean more IA and I tend to lean more ISU – but it’s only during the IA/ISU game that we actually split allegiances. We love both teams, both schools…their history and their sports programs.
When it comes to going to a football game at either stadium, however, my allegiance to ISU starts to wane. I know I've written before about our experiences at both stadiums – but after having had several years to adjust to our situation and our amazing experiences at other sporting events…the lack of quality accessible seats at Jack Trice Stadium really gets under my skin. When I think back to the first game we went to, after Matt’s stroke and how I had to push with all my might to get my 200+lb husband up that hill to our seats, my blood pressure rises. We were so happy to be there and I wanted so badly to have a great time – for Matt. We were just starting to explore new things, expanding our horizon with our new normal – so I grit my teeth and I tried my best to get us up there without too much complaining. The seats were so terrible – we could hardly see a darn thing, except the backs of the people standing up in front of us. I stood up to take a few pics, and try and keep an eye on the action, but poor Matt couldn't see much.

The next time, we discovered ‘accessible’ seats in the south end zone. While I didn't have to contend with pushing Matt up the hill, the view in the end zone isn't the best either and there are a lot of missing amenities at that end. Traveling back and forth from the concessions to Matt was a big pain.   Don’t get me wrong, it was a big improvement over the previous game – but it still made me irritated. Honestly, it just gets old feeling as though you’re being treated like a second class citizen. They’ll throw out a few folding chairs at the very back of a section of seats and call it ‘accessible’. Never mind that the folks in wheelchairs can’t see anything.  I mean, I certainly don’t mind sitting on a folding chair – it’s probably more comfortable than a bleacher…but I hate to look around and see these dedicated fans having to put up with less than ideal seating situations. And not just seating…bathrooms, concessions, parking…all of it is more difficult than it needs to be.

But then I think about our amazing trips to places like Wrigley Field. And how we were treated…special. The ushers there went above and beyond to prove to us they wanted us to have an awesome time. They went out of their way to show Matt that he is, in fact, not a second class citizen. He is a valuable customer…a fan who wants to show up and support his team.  He deserves to be able to SEE the game. To participate in what is going on around him. To eat the yummy stadium food and use a bathroom that doesn't put his safety in danger. After all he’s been through, the man deserves to go to a football game, cheer on his team, and have a good time. Don’t you think?? Unfortunately, I can’t even get a person to answer the phone at the ISU ticket office...so actually going to a game this year may be off the table.

Iowa – 1
Iowa State – big, fat 0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have