Skip to main content

Oh HI there!


Where is the time going? How can it be that I haven’t posted since February!? Well, let me tell you – it’s been nutty around here…just.plain.nutty. There has been tons going on at work, with the adoption, family events, and oh yeah, I decided to train for another ½ marathon.  But let’s talk about what’s really on everyone’s mind…the adoption.
Ready to get fingerprinted at the Ankeny Police Station
As I sit here typing this, our social worker is finishing up our home study report. We met with her a total of 4 times; each visit lasting an hour to an hour and a ½. We met in the office once, and the rest of the visits were here at home. During our second visit she split us up and talked with us individually. The last visit she actually toured the house – the basement, the garage, the shed, and all the closets. Thankfully nothing scary to see there – other than some cat hair tumbleweeds in the basement. Ooops. We traveled to Cedar Rapids for a training class for all prospective parents, and we have another class coming up in May. (While required, it does not have to be done before they show our profiles to birth parents.)
Dinner out in Cedar Rapids after our training class
We talked at great length with her about our childhoods, our families, our personalities, our marriage, our work life, how we would plan to parent a child, etc. We also talked, naturally, about Matt’s stroke and its lasting impact on us, our families, and friends. It’s easy for us to see how far we’ve come when we break it down like that for a new person. All the hours, weeks, months of rehab. All the family strain and high emotions. All the unknowns. All the stress and worry, fear and grief. But at the heart of it is all the love, commitment, and faith. I hope this is what she took away from our home study visits. I hope this is what is conveyed in our adoption profile book. That despite everything we went through – we are still here, together, enjoying life. Our marriage is stronger than ever. Our strained relationships have healed. Our amazing friends stuck by us and some were even brought TO us by the stroke. So many stories to share…so many incredible blessings we’ve known along the way. At the end of the home study I felt grateful, once again, and hopeful that our story will touch the heart of the right person at the right time.
So – we have finished all our paperwork and have printed our adoption profile books (which I LOVE) and now we are ready to wait. Hopefully our home study report will be finished up in the next week or so and then the REAL waiting begins. It will be good to officially be done with this phase of the journey, though. We will be ready to focus on the summer and all the fun we are bound to have with our family and friends. We will pray each night for God to work in the lives of those who were meant to be drawn to us and we will wait on Him for the next steps. While we’ve jumped through all the right hoops, and have done our best to show the true Matt & Emily to prospective birthparents, ultimately we know who is in charge here.
In the meantime, we are looking to sell the wagon for additional adoption funds and continue to be humbled by and grateful for the support from you all. We simply would not be where we are today without you!!
We know adoption is complicated and we know it’s not easy – but we trust in the process and we trust in God to see us through.

Celebrating Estelle's 3rd Birthday - the sweet baby who helped change everything for us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was Born in a Small Town

So we’ve decided to move. We love Ankeny, our house, and our neighborhood so it’s a little bittersweet to think about moving, but ever since Ethan came along - oh how things have changed. When we set out to build a wheelchair friendly house for Matt nearly 9 years ago, we were mainly focused on the functionality inside the house. While of course we wanted the ease and function of zero grade entry, we also yearned for the freedom he would know in a house with wider doorways and room to maneuver the bulky chair. In our old house there were literally rooms he never went into, simply because he couldn’t get through. Our Ankeny home was a dream come true in so many ways. And it was lovingly planned out and put together by so many incredibly generous and thoughtful people. We were humbled time and time again with how things came together for us in that house. I’ll never forget coming home for the first time with Matt after our long, exhausting trip back from China. It was late, we were jet …

Where We're at…Right Now

This whole adoption thing is tough stuff, friends. It is a roller coaster ride like no other. And I have to be honest – I’m still not sure this will be it for us. I want to believe it is…but I’m just.not.sure. Matt and I were on our way to church yesterday, listening to the 90’s station when the cult classic ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ came on. We both giggled…and may have turned it up a tad. Near the end we both howled out a woooo-woooo in near perfect, spontaneous, unison with dear mullet headed Billy Ray. It made me laugh instantly and I blurted out ‘we’re so perfect together’. And honestly – we are.
That thought stuck with me all morning.  We.are.perfect.together.  What we have – our marriage, our friendship, our devotion and commitment to each other….they are priceless. Our union is a blessing. It is blessed. 100% meant to be. No doubt in my mind. There is no one on this planet who could ever know me like Matt. We have been through hell and back together. In the hospital, shortly after his …

Mother's Day Emotions

Mother’s Day weekend is coming and I’m finding myself all sorts of emotional – go figure. I think the anticipation of how I might feel on my very first Mother’s Day after so many years of hoping, waiting, and wondering sort of made it a bit anticlimactic. Or maybe I guarded my heart a little and didn’t fully let the magnitude of my emotions wash over me. Regardless, I find myself MUCH more emotional this time around.
Last night we watched a TV show about children growing up and moving out etc…and I actually cried. All those jerks who told me how fast children grow and how quickly the time moves…were right. Of course I feel how swiftly time moves the older I get…I blinked and now I’m in my (gulp) 40’s. But I simply could not have fathomed how I would feel about the amount of time I have to be Ethan’s mother. It feels finite. Fleeting. Just not enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Ethan grow! He is learning and changing and cracking me up all the time. He loves climbing, and runn…