Skip to main content

Oh HI there!


Where is the time going? How can it be that I haven’t posted since February!? Well, let me tell you – it’s been nutty around here…just.plain.nutty. There has been tons going on at work, with the adoption, family events, and oh yeah, I decided to train for another ½ marathon.  But let’s talk about what’s really on everyone’s mind…the adoption.
Ready to get fingerprinted at the Ankeny Police Station
As I sit here typing this, our social worker is finishing up our home study report. We met with her a total of 4 times; each visit lasting an hour to an hour and a ½. We met in the office once, and the rest of the visits were here at home. During our second visit she split us up and talked with us individually. The last visit she actually toured the house – the basement, the garage, the shed, and all the closets. Thankfully nothing scary to see there – other than some cat hair tumbleweeds in the basement. Ooops. We traveled to Cedar Rapids for a training class for all prospective parents, and we have another class coming up in May. (While required, it does not have to be done before they show our profiles to birth parents.)
Dinner out in Cedar Rapids after our training class
We talked at great length with her about our childhoods, our families, our personalities, our marriage, our work life, how we would plan to parent a child, etc. We also talked, naturally, about Matt’s stroke and its lasting impact on us, our families, and friends. It’s easy for us to see how far we’ve come when we break it down like that for a new person. All the hours, weeks, months of rehab. All the family strain and high emotions. All the unknowns. All the stress and worry, fear and grief. But at the heart of it is all the love, commitment, and faith. I hope this is what she took away from our home study visits. I hope this is what is conveyed in our adoption profile book. That despite everything we went through – we are still here, together, enjoying life. Our marriage is stronger than ever. Our strained relationships have healed. Our amazing friends stuck by us and some were even brought TO us by the stroke. So many stories to share…so many incredible blessings we’ve known along the way. At the end of the home study I felt grateful, once again, and hopeful that our story will touch the heart of the right person at the right time.
So – we have finished all our paperwork and have printed our adoption profile books (which I LOVE) and now we are ready to wait. Hopefully our home study report will be finished up in the next week or so and then the REAL waiting begins. It will be good to officially be done with this phase of the journey, though. We will be ready to focus on the summer and all the fun we are bound to have with our family and friends. We will pray each night for God to work in the lives of those who were meant to be drawn to us and we will wait on Him for the next steps. While we’ve jumped through all the right hoops, and have done our best to show the true Matt & Emily to prospective birthparents, ultimately we know who is in charge here.
In the meantime, we are looking to sell the wagon for additional adoption funds and continue to be humbled by and grateful for the support from you all. We simply would not be where we are today without you!!
We know adoption is complicated and we know it’s not easy – but we trust in the process and we trust in God to see us through.

Celebrating Estelle's 3rd Birthday - the sweet baby who helped change everything for us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have