Skip to main content

Time Keeps on Slipping, Slipping, Slipping...

Happy November!
It's hard to believe that October has come and gone and here we are on the edge of the holiday season. Good grief! Life has been busy and good and really I should focus on that but today, I am feeling a bit... impatient. It's been nearly 6 months since we were officially approved to adopt and while a lot has happened to keep us busy and help pass the time - I can't help but feel the itch to know WHEN will our dream finally come true?
Every family I know who has gone through an adoption journey ended up with a child at some point. None of them gave up and walked away childless. However, somewhere deep down inside, I still carry a little fear that we will. As the waiting family profiles pile up on the website I can't help from checking out the 'competition'...and isn't it terrible to view them as such? It is, I know...but I can't help trying to rationalize how someone might choose us over another. I find myself compartmentalizing the other families. Some have biological children, some have other adopted children, some have none. Some are very young, some are older. Some have stay at home moms, some have acreages, some have pets. How do we stack up? Is anyone contemplating us? The would-be dad in a wheelchair and his goofy wife. I don't know.  And that, these days, is making me a bit bonkers.
So I've started a separate blog, just for potential birth families. It is linked from our web profile and the agency put links in our profile books. It is mostly pictures of stuff we're doing, in the hopes that they can see us... and try and know us better.  To see how we continue to live our lives, not just from the pages in the book, in the hopes it will give them a clearer picture of who we are. It makes me feel like I'm doing something to help - even though I know...I KNOW...none of this really matters.
In the end, it's all out of my control. If and when a baby comes to us, it likely won't be because of my pictures, or clever words, or any of that. It will be because it was the baby meant for us. And I know that when that happens I will fall on my knees in humble gratitude that God would choose this baby for us. I dream of that day. I can almost, almost see it. And yet it feels painfully far out into the future. Who.really.knows? Sigh.
So now we head into November - thinking of all we are thankful for.  I will do my best not to be discouraged, to lose heart. I will do my best to trust that God is still working out the details for our baby. I will do my best to see all the wonderful, amazing blessings in my life and give praise for their abundance. And I will continue to pray for my baby...that he or she would be here soon.
In the meantime - thank you all for the love and support you continue to show us. Our neighborhood fundraiser was incredibly humbling and loving! We are amazed by the acts of kindness shown to us as we continue down our adoption journey. It hasn't been easy - but we are so very thankful to you for sharing in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

A Glimpse Into Open Adoption

If you had been a customer of the Longhorn Steakhouse on Highway 19 in Palm Harbor, FL last Sunday night, you may have seen two couples walking through the restaurant, oogling a sweet baby boy on the way to their table. You may have commented on how cute he was. You may have thought he looked a lot like the woman carrying him. You may have wondered about the man in the wheelchair. But you likely would not have assumed you’d be witnessing this baby’s biological parents sit down to dine with his adoptive parents. It’s a scene I’ve been playing over and over in my mind as I recount the wonderful experiences of our trip to Florida. The magnitude of that moment, that evening, will never be lost on me. It was incredible to be a part of – and I’m so very grateful we had it. We had met up with Ethan’s birthmother, L, earlier in the day. She hadn’t seen him since he was a few hours old and was anxiously waiting for us outside a local mall. As soon as we saw each other the tears welled up in o

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the mon