Skip to main content

Saturday Update: 12/17/05

Well, I am sitting in the living room while some workers are installing some extra insulation in our attic and am attempting to fill the time with something productive. I figured I might as well try and work on a little update for you all. This is the first morning in over three months that I haven’t been up early to greet Matt and help him get ready for the day. I am anxious and uncomfortable not being there to help start his day, and I hate that I can’t just call him up to tell him I’m running late. (They got here an hour later than expected) He knew I’d be down there later today, and was ok with it…and I know they are taking care of him there, but I just feel uncomfortable not being there as usual. Plus, of course, today is the big overnight visit, so I’m sure he’s just dying for me to get there and get him HOME! I will definitely update you all on how the trip goes.

I took the entire day off work yesterday and was with Matt throughout all his therapies. It gave us another chance to work together and for the physical therapists to gage how we are doing together. It went wonderfully. We practiced walking around their mock bedroom and up and down the stairs. He listened to all my cues and really concentrated well. I was so happy at how well we did, as was the therapist! We also had a family conference yesterday morning with all of his therapists, the social worker, nurse case manager, physiatrist, and Matt’s parents. It was a good opportunity for the therapists to give updates on Matt’s progress and for us, as a family, to ask any questions we might have. The therapists all said how great Matt is doing, and how optimistic they are that his progress will continue with hard work and perseverance. They also explained the difference between a brain injury and an orthopedic injury, in that the brain has it’s own healing timeline and there’s really nothing we can do to speed that up. The healing will come in time, and as long as Matt continues to work hard (as he has been), then the progress will continue. I think it really put a lot of our minds and hearts at ease, to know that we aren’t on a timeline here, and shouldn’t be frustrated if it seems to be taking a long time….that this IS really going to just take time and patience.

Matt has made it through the intense part of his rehab, and is now ready to begin the real-life phase of his rehab. They explained that he will actually probably have more therapy-type activities at home than what he has now. When you think about it, everything he does is a form of therapy. Walking to the bathroom, sitting at the dining room table, eating a meal, talking to friends and family….it’s all work for him and it will all help his progress continue. Right now he can count on nurses and therapists, as well as family, to help him do things and get things for him. When he comes home, he’s going to have to do more for himself…I just won’t be able to do it all….well, maybe I could, but I refuse to wait on him ALL the time! HA!

I think everyone is really looking for this overnight trip to be the true test…to make sure we are really ready to rely on each other. I know it is going to be a LOT of work and require a lot of patience and understanding on my part, as well as Matt’s. I just pray that some of the anxiety, stress, and frustrations will be lifted off of us as we start to settle in and feel more normal at our home. I just know that being here at home with me is going to do wonders for Matt emotionally and mentally. He longs to be in his own environment, with more control over what he does and when. He knows that his therapy is his job now, and he is ready to go there…work hard…get it done…then come home and relax at the end of the day. And man, just to relax at home together…I am SO ready for that!

We are also so grateful that we will be able to celebrate Christmas together, with our families, at home. What a wonderful gift that is! Matt is looking forward to relaxing by the Christmas tree, reading magazines, listening to Christmas tunes while I bake cookies and other goodies for our family get togethers. I’ll admit, I am really, really, REALLY looking forward to it myself. I am ready to begin this next phase…and want to be able to face the challenges head on with faith and endurance. I just ask for you to continue to hold us up in your prayers. Pray for Matt’s continued healing and recovery, that he would continue to press on towards the goal, and pray for a positive attitude. I also ask you pray for strength (both physically and emotionally) for us as we prepare for the tasks ahead. Matt is going to have to lean on me a lot in these next few weeks, and I don’t want to let him down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have