Skip to main content

Tuesday Update: 6/6/06

I just thought I’d try and put one more post out there before things get really crazy this week. We are hanging in there, trying to make sure we’ve got all our ducks in a row for both our trip to IA City and to Omaha. It is HARD trying to pack for a three month stay! Matt usually packs a huge bag for our week long trips to Minnesota, so this will be ridiculous, I’m sure! I have a feeling the car is going to be LOADED!! You know Matt, he always likes to look good!

We had another really good weekend. My parents were back for a visit and we had lots of fun hanging out with them. Meghan and Matthew were adorable as ever. Little Matthew is full of smiles and we just love to make him smile and give him lots of kisses. We spent time visiting and playing with the kids Saturday and Sunday. It was so good for me to see my Mom and Dad! I’m so glad they could both come up before Matt goes to Omaha and I am so grateful Mom is staying this week to help out with the dogs and be there with us in IA City!!!

Sunday, we also went up to church for one last service before Matt heads out to Omaha. It was a tearful service for me. I was so filled with emotion and all the hymns we sang really touched me. I was feeling so grateful to everyone there who has supported us with meals, cards, visits, and more…I just wanted them all to know how much that has meant to us. I tried to thank them all during the praise and petition part of the service, but I got so choked up…I’m not sure if my whole sentiment got across. I know that while we may never know why this happened to us, we can take comfort in knowing that God has brought so many wonderful, loving people into our lives. They have been a true blessing to us both.

Last night Matt’s therapists had a little going away party for him with brownies and ice cream. While today is his last day, a few of the therapists are going to be gone today, so they wanted to do it when they were all available. They made up a certificate of accomplishment for him which said:
‘In honor of successful completion through avid participation and self-motivation, this certificate is presented to one Matthew Karwoski this fifth day of June, year Two-Thousand and six. Matt, remain confident in your mind, body, and spirit, as you have proven to be an inspiration through your determination and have validated your abilities through your participation and performance.’

It was very sweet…and also touching. I can sit here and go on and on about how strong Matt is…and how determined he is…but to have them put it on paper for him, really meant a lot. I am sure that all the people he will be working with in Omaha will love and admire him as all his therapists to date have. He is truly an awesome person and I continue to be so honored to be his wife. Even though this experience has been one full of challenges, complications, hardship, and fear…I know that there is a purpose here, and I know that God will bring us through it all together…stronger and ever closer in our love for each other and our faith in Him.

I will try and post an update as soon as possible on the embolization, as well as the trip to Omaha. Please be praying for Matt on Thursday. Pray that the procedure is a success and the AVF has been blocked for good!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was Born in a Small Town

So we’ve decided to move. We love Ankeny, our house, and our neighborhood so it’s a little bittersweet to think about moving, but ever since Ethan came along - oh how things have changed. When we set out to build a wheelchair friendly house for Matt nearly 9 years ago, we were mainly focused on the functionality inside the house. While of course we wanted the ease and function of zero grade entry, we also yearned for the freedom he would know in a house with wider doorways and room to maneuver the bulky chair. In our old house there were literally rooms he never went into, simply because he couldn’t get through. Our Ankeny home was a dream come true in so many ways. And it was lovingly planned out and put together by so many incredibly generous and thoughtful people. We were humbled time and time again with how things came together for us in that house. I’ll never forget coming home for the first time with Matt after our long, exhausting trip back from China. It was late, we were jet …

Where We're at…Right Now

This whole adoption thing is tough stuff, friends. It is a roller coaster ride like no other. And I have to be honest – I’m still not sure this will be it for us. I want to believe it is…but I’m just.not.sure. Matt and I were on our way to church yesterday, listening to the 90’s station when the cult classic ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ came on. We both giggled…and may have turned it up a tad. Near the end we both howled out a woooo-woooo in near perfect, spontaneous, unison with dear mullet headed Billy Ray. It made me laugh instantly and I blurted out ‘we’re so perfect together’. And honestly – we are.
That thought stuck with me all morning.  We.are.perfect.together.  What we have – our marriage, our friendship, our devotion and commitment to each other….they are priceless. Our union is a blessing. It is blessed. 100% meant to be. No doubt in my mind. There is no one on this planet who could ever know me like Matt. We have been through hell and back together. In the hospital, shortly after his …

Mother's Day Emotions

Mother’s Day weekend is coming and I’m finding myself all sorts of emotional – go figure. I think the anticipation of how I might feel on my very first Mother’s Day after so many years of hoping, waiting, and wondering sort of made it a bit anticlimactic. Or maybe I guarded my heart a little and didn’t fully let the magnitude of my emotions wash over me. Regardless, I find myself MUCH more emotional this time around.
Last night we watched a TV show about children growing up and moving out etc…and I actually cried. All those jerks who told me how fast children grow and how quickly the time moves…were right. Of course I feel how swiftly time moves the older I get…I blinked and now I’m in my (gulp) 40’s. But I simply could not have fathomed how I would feel about the amount of time I have to be Ethan’s mother. It feels finite. Fleeting. Just not enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Ethan grow! He is learning and changing and cracking me up all the time. He loves climbing, and runn…