Skip to main content

Sunday Update: 05/27/07

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!

We are enjoying a cool evening, watching the race and lounging comfortably in our family room. It has been a busy weekend, but a good one, none the less and we are SO looking forward to having another day around home tomorrow!

Matt’s sister Lissa came home for a visit this weekend, and we’ve enjoyed catching up with her. She’s been working for a traveling therapy service and this has been her first trip back home since she left in January. We planned a cookout on Saturday with Matt’s parents, Uncle Rich and Aunt Bev. The weather was pretty rainy off and on, so we ended up cooking barbequed beef brisket inside instead. It was still nice enough to make ice cream though! We had a really good time, just being together. For me, it felt as close to a normal family get together as we have had in a long time. It was good to have Lissa home, and to just be together. I think we are slowly moving into another phase of this journey together…moving slowly back to normal. Everyone has to come to terms with things in their own time, in their own way.

Right now, I see Matt and I reaching a certain level of acceptance and looking forward to just living our life. It is a positive time for us, and I hope that everyone can come to this place as well. I know it’s very hard not to think about what it was like before, and what things might have been for us and for Matt had this not happened…but we’re really just ready to live with changes as best as we can, and try to make the most of things.

This weekend we had another first…and a prime example of how Matt is moving on and trying to enjoy himself in ways he had previously tended to avoid. Matt went out on Saturday night with his friend Jay. I know Matt doesn’t want to make a huge deal about this…but let me just repeat that Matt went out on Saturday night with his friend Jay!! Jay picked him up and they went to Porky’s (a local drive in with weekly cruise nights) and looked at cars for a few hours. Then, they went back to Jay’s house, where they (just the two of them) got Matt into the house to hang out and watch a UFC fight. Matt allowed Jay to help him, and together, they managed just fine. I’m sure it was awkward, but the fact that Matt was ready to take a chance and trust in Jay to help, means a lot to me. Matt used to love going up to Porky’s…we used to go up there quite a bit in the past. But it has been nearly 2 years since Matt was there on a cruise night. I was so happy he WANTED to go! It was the first time that Matt went anywhere with a friend. I haven’t had a night home alone for months…probably not since Matt came home from Omaha last September! I watched a chick flick and thoroughly enjoyed that as well! I was a little nervous, hoping that everything went ok getting in and out of the car and house…but I was so encouraged by Matt’s willingness to give it a try, to be a little vulnerable in front of his friend, to put aside his fears and just go have fun. I just said a little prayer that it would all go ok – and it did. I think it really boosted Matt’s confidence in his abilities and reminded him what friends are for.

(Here's a picture of Matt & Jay at Matt's 30th b-day party)


I think it meant a lot to Jay as well…that Matt let him help him. Of course, both Matt and Jay would act like this was no big deal…but trust me, I KNOW these two guys pretty well and I know that it meant a lot to them both. Jay has been a friend to me for 20 years (holy cow that freaks me out to say that)…and I know how he feels about Matt. I continue to be so thankful for friends like Jay. I can’t say enough, how much they’ve meant to us both.

In other news, this week is going to be another crazy week for us. We are heading to Iowa City on Tuesday to follow up with the doctor who performed Matt’s embolization last June. Matt will have an MRI in the morning, and then we will meet with the doctor to discuss the results in the afternoon. I am looking forward to meeting in person to discuss Matt’s AVM/F (I don’t know if they’ve ever really decided which one it is). I’m not sure what the results will show; if there is still blood flowing through any of the vessels, if the vessels have grown, or closed themselves off. It would be so, so, SO great if they had closed themselves off and we could be done thinking about treatment. Matt has been pretty opposed to having a repeat embolization, and I can’t blame him. But sometimes I do think it would be good to have peace of mind that the vessels were blocked for good. Either way, I hope that we can have a good discussion with the doctor and come to a consensus that makes everyone comfortable. Please be thinking of us on Tuesday.

The rest of the week we will be preparing for another big first…we will be traveling to Boston together! We’re going to be exploring some of the historical and fun things that the city has to offer, in between my work conference commitments. Matt is looking forward to relaxing in the hotel, and seeing this old city. I am so excited as well, and my mind is a jumble with all the strategic planning and preparations. It will be an adventure for us, but I think we’re up to the challenge…now more than ever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have