Skip to main content

Saturday Update: 07/21/07







Happy Birthday Mom!!!!! We missed not being there to celebrate on this day, but were glad we could celebrate together when they were back for a visit in June. We had a cake and homemade ice cream…Meghan kept calling Mom the Birthday Girl…priceless! I hope that today Mom gets to do something fun with Dad…or at least enjoy a nice dinner out.



We’ve had a couple of busy weeks around here and I just haven’t had much time to write an update. Things are going pretty well for the most part, just really starting to ramp up the house plans. We decided shortly after Matt’s surgery that we were going to replace the cabinets and countertops in our kitchen and bathroom in preparation for listing the house. They were the last things that really stood out as old and needing to be updated to us. So we worked out a deal with Matt’s dad for some nice maple cabinets which have a finish similar to the woodwork in our house…they totally fit the era of the home. Well, last weekend was our big project weekend. Hope and Chad came down to help George with the work.



They ripped out the old cabinets and countertop in no time and they managed to get it all done in two days!!! Hope and I worked on cleaning up the basement, organizing the closets and storage areas, as well as doing yard work and just pitching junk into the dumpster. She was on a mission, I swear! It was SO great to have their help!!!! Saturday night we took a break from the work and went out to dinner with Matt’s Uncle Denny who was in town working on a Habitat for Humanity house. We enjoyed a nice dinner together with Matt’s parents and grandparents, and then Denny stopped over to lend a hand on the kitchen Sunday morning. (He TOO was a kitchen salesman who recently retired…so we knew we were in good hands between him and George.)














By the end of the day on Sunday the kitchen was complete. All the cabinets and countertops were installed, our stuff was put away, and the dishwasher was working…did I mention we also added a DISHWASHER!!! Can I just say that I love, adore, am enamored with this dishwasher!?!? It was another thing we thought would help make our house stand out…so we decided to add it and boy am I going to love using it until we do move!!! I can’t believe we went nearly NINE years of married life without one!! I feel like I deserve a badge or something! It’s a pretty major deal this day in age to not have one…especially for someone who enjoys cooking as much as I do. We have just been dirtying dishes left and right…and I never have to worry about washing them. What a concept!!!


So the kitchen is pretty near completion. I have some touch up paint to do, and George has to come down and put the finishing trim pieces on…but even without those details the kitchen looks like a million bucks!



This week George will also work on replacing the bathroom cabinets and then we should be good to go!! It is exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time to think about listing and showing the house. I just pray it all works out smoothly and we don’t have any troubles!! We are slated to sign on the dotted line this coming week…and finally close on the new lot in Ankeny! How fantastic is that!?!? We are so ready. I can’t wait to drive by there and see PROGRESS where our new home is going to be! I’m sure Matt and I will make regular Sunday drives past it after church! I can’t wait!!!!

We’ve got some pretty exciting stuff going on around here, and it feels good. Matt’s sister Lissa is coming home for a week between assignments and will be staying with us, we’re having one last party at our Des Moines house this Saturday night, we’re making plans for vacations in August (Matt to Minnesota on a guys’ trip, me to Texas for some quality time with my parents), we’re making plans for our new house and things we might need for it, we’ve been enjoying a new members class at church getting to know our Pastor and some other members better…the list goes on. Things feel good right now. Even though we had our ninth anniversary this week, I didn’t have that feeling of loss and sadness like I did last year. Matt and I talked about watching our wedding/reception/honeymoon video together…and I think we will, and it won’t be sad like it was to me the last time I watched it. It will always make me smile and think of how happy and carefree we were…it will always make me so thankful for a wonderful day surrounded by friends and family…it will always remind me of how strong our foundation and our marriage truly are. We were, and still are, best friends. I know there is no one who could ever know me like Matt does, and it is truly a blessing. We were lucky to have those early years of happy times, where life was simple and easy (I didn’t even have a JOB yet!!)…we were blessed to know successes, and to have each other’s support during any failures. I still look back and smile, knowing that even if I had known the path our lives were to take, I wouldn’t have done any of it differently. Matt and I were meant to be together – I have no doubt. God meant us for each other. To know that…to really KNOW that, is what gives me strength to endure the tough times, and faith to trust that we will overcome it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have