Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 07/04/07

Happy Independence Day

Well, for me this Fourth of July was kind of a bust. All day I couldn’t quite shake the feeling that something was off…that I was missing something…that I should be DOING something. We hadn’t planned on doing much, just spending time together at home and catching some fireworks in the evening. As many of you know, I am nuts about fireworks. I love them…and tend to get very excited while watching them. But all day today I just didn’t feel much in the mood for the typical July Fourth festivities. And then it sort of hit me this afternoon what it was that was missing…our usual holiday traditions. In years past we have always spent the holiday with family. We’d go boating (or at least try to…if we could manage to get the boat in the water without breaking it or something), or we’d cook out and make ice cream…and we’d always end the day with sparklers and fireworks together with family. This year was the first year that we didn’t plan anything with anyone. Of course last year was different because Matt was in Omaha, so we watched fireworks out there together…but today, being home and not celebrating with anyone left me feeling pretty low. I couldn’t stop thinking about all the years past where we spent the day together with family…and how today just felt like a regular old day. I didn’t expect it to bother me. I didn’t realize how much I had enjoyed that family tradition. It just reminded me of how much things have changed and it made me ache for the days when we could just head down to the lake with friends or family for the day, cook out on the beach, and lay on blankets watching the fireworks. Everything takes so much more effort these days…nothing can just be easy. Sometimes it really sucks.
We ended up seeing fireworks with our friends Jay and Stacy, their son and her parents. I wasn’t sure I even wanted to go…but Matt was up for it and knew that I’d be even more bummed if I missed the fireworks all together. Unfortunately, they changed the location of where they set off the fireworks and we were not in a good spot to see them. We saw most of them, but we were really far away and there were trees blocking a bunch of the display. It just figures, I guess. Matt and I have decided that we’re going to try and catch them in Ankeny in a few weeks when they have their big town celebration. Hopefully we can get out and enjoy ourselves a little more that day. Today was just an off day for me – but Matt was here to lift my spirits, as always. We are so lucky that generally we balance each other out on days like today.


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…