Skip to main content

Saturday Update: 09/01/07

Well, we have all returned…the cat is keeping watch on his favorite perch looking out the front window, the dogs are snoozing beside each other on the futon, and Matt is relaxing in his recliner watching college football…all is right with the world. Well, at least in our little Karwoski world anyway! I returned home from my Texas trip Thursday evening…after a minor two hour delay, I finally pulled into the garage around 8:30. It was so good to be home, and yet so strange to come home to an empty house. Can’t say I’m a big fan of that. I was happy to go and pick up the animals Friday and bring them back home…the house just isn’t the same without pets. I know they’re a lot of work, and I do my share of complaining about them…but they just complete our little family. They were all SO excited to get back home, run around the yard, and snuggle up with me all night long. Friday night was a MUCH better night for me!!!

Matt’s fishing trip was successful in many ways;
They had excellent fishing…each of them catching numerous keepers, and they had 2 fish fry evenings! Matt caught the biggest northern (AND the only walleye), Jay caught the most northern, and Denny and George tied for the biggest perch. All in all, they caught a lot of fish…it is a Karwoski first to have 2 fish fries in one week and STILL have fish to take home!

Matt managed all the traveling obstacles…even though there were many challenges, and he is physically pooped from the effort exerted this week overcoming them…he did it. He used a public restroom by himself for the first time, he managed to go out on the boat daily (sometimes more than once a day), he maneuvered as best he could around the cabin, and he reeled in most of his fish by himself.

But more than anything, I feel so proud of him for putting himself out there and being willing to try. He hates to make a fuss, he hates to have to have help…and yet he allowed those three guys to be there for him…to help him, and to just be a group of guys on a fishing trip. I know that he had his moments of sadness, reflecting on how different this trip was from the last…and that the rush of memories from that last trip, mere days before his hemorrhage, can easily be overwhelmingly raw and bittersweet. I still have the picture of us and our fish hanging on my desk at work…it is such a good picture of us…and it can often bring tears to my eyes, these two years later. But even still, he tried to accept his limitations and adapt as best as he could. I know it wasn’t easy. I know it wasn’t always fun. But in the end he says it was worth it…and that is what makes me smile…and makes me love him all the more.

Matt has come a long way this past year…not just physically, but emotionally as well. He is trying to come to terms with the way life is now, enjoying things the best he can, even if it is not the same. It is an extremely difficult thing to do. It is easy for people to try and give you pep talks and be encouraging about the future…to tell you to put your nose to the grindstone and work, work, work…but it is much harder to actually swallow your grief and disappointment and move forward. I truly believe it is only through our faith and commitment to each other that we are able to move forward together, leaving our old life behind and working to make the most of this new and unexpected one. We are grateful for any progress that is made, and we are grateful for the many blessings we have been showered with…and we work very hard not to linger too long on thoughts of what could have been, and how things used to be. It is a daily struggle and some days are easier than others…but I am sure we will both struggle for some time to come. Our lives are monumentally altered, forever changed, and each new situation we are faced with challenges us in many ways. Right now, I am so proud of Matt for taking a risk and opening himself up to this fishing trip experience – and I am so glad to have him back home again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have