Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 11/28/07

Happy Thanksgiving…a little late!!

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and a highly enjoyable long weekend at home! It was soo great to have extra time off together, and we soaked it all in. Thursday we headed to my grandparents’ house for a delicious turkey dinner with my aunts, uncle, and cousins. It was a full house…but it was great. We talked, laughed, ate, and had a really good time.
We stopped by the new house on our way up there and I took a bunch of new pictures! It was exciting to see the house with windows, doors, and the rooms all framed up inside. The siding was supposed to come this week, so I’m sure I’ll be posting more pictures of that soon! It was the perfect way to start off the Thanksgiving holiday…being excited and so very grateful for the new house that we’ll soon be living in.

Friday and Saturday we hung around the house, watching football and decorating the house for Christmas. I got some real garland and put it up on the front porch again this year…and I also bought a small real tree to set out there as well. They both look so nice with all the lights on them! We watched a few Christmas movies on TV and after receiving several inches of snow on Wednesday, we were both starting to feel in the mood for the holiday season! Let the baking and shopping fun begin!!

Monday we had our last therapy visit at Timber Creek. It was a little sad, knowing that we wouldn’t be seeing the folks out there on a regular basis, but it felt good to know that we were getting more of our life back to ourselves. Matt rode one last time, and then walked up and down the hallway with me, Kim, and the 4 pronged cane. It was a good last walk! Then, the group surprised us with a little pizza party. They ordered some pizza and gave Matt and me both a little gift. It was very unexpected, and very touching. I just can’t say enough how wonderful that group is…and how caring they have been to us. They gave Matt a pair of Cyclones socks – one time, a few weeks back, Matt had accidentally worn his Hawkeye socks. Everyone out at Timber Creek are HUGE Cyclones fans…so when he swung his leg over the horse to get off, they all gasped with shock and gave him soo much crap about wearing them. Matt just laughed and laughed…we all did. So, they wanted to send him off in style, making sure that he had proper CYCLONE socks as well. It was a very thoughtful gift that brought smiles to both of our faces. We will miss them, that is for sure…but I’m sure that we’ll stay in touch.

It’s amazing how many wonderful people have touched our lives through this experience. We’ve often talked about what a blessing that has been…the friendships and relationships we’ve been blessed with throughout the past few years. We are so lucky. Each one has played an important part, and each one has touched us in a different way. The really neat thing is - I know that we have left our mark on them as well. Matt has a way of touching people. Maybe that is his gift.

We meet with Ruth Lycke from the China Connection tomorrow afternoon. Please be thinking of us then…we have so many questions and are so hoping that Matt can have this opportunity. I’ll update as soon as I know something!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have