Skip to main content

Sunday Update: 01/20/08

First...a few pictures...
This is the tile in the hall bath:


This is the master bath:



This is the foyer:


Now that we’re all settled in for the afternoon/evening, curled up watching a movie (Matt picked Back to the Future) with our blankets, I thought I’d take a few minutes to write another update. This week has been a long one, filled with the usual ups and downs and I am very grateful that Principal has decided to give us Martin Luther King Day off as a paid holiday so tomorrow I can have another day to rest and catch up on things around the house.

Matt’s eye is healing nicely, and after several days of hopelessly blurry the vision, things are finally starting to return to normal. Even though this surgery was only on Matt’s left eye, it was sorer than any of the previous surgeries, so Matt was down for the count most of the week. While Matt still sees double, the tilting of the one image has been resolved! Matt and I are hopeful that we are definitely on the right track for resolving the double vision. We’ll see what the treatments in China bring us.

I’ve also been scrambling all week trying to get our paperwork in order for our China Visa applications. We were in a bit of a time crunch to get the paperwork submitted now, since Chinese New Year is in February and apparently the whole country basically shuts down. Filling out the forms and compiling the necessary pictures, flight itineraries etc ended up being much more complicated and frustrating than I could have imagined. But after a trip to Office Depot for a printer cartridge, and a stop at Walgreen’s so Matt could take another passport photo…I finally got it all together and was able to drop it all off at the post office Friday afternoon. Hopefully I filled it all out correctly and the Visas will be approved and sent back to us soon.

Things are moving along with the new house. Our neighbor Todd was able to prime the interior on Monday while we were in Iowa City, and the tile was laid in the entry way and both bathrooms too. They should be working on installing the cabinets and trim in the next week and we will be meeting with Ralph to pick out fixtures and discuss the finishing details too. Now that we’re getting nearer to the end, things are starting to get more complicated for me as well…trying to figure out the loan details for covering the rest of construction, as well as the new mortgage and possibly a bridge loan to get us through the next few months if we don’t sell our house. I had a bit of a meltdown on Friday trying to make it all come together in my mind…and getting extremely frustrated that I can’t figure it all out now. With everything that is going on…it all seems to be hitting at the same time and I was finding it all a bit overwhelming. I know it will all work out somehow, and in the right timing, but sometimes it’s hard to keep my chin up when I start feeling so bombarded with responsibilities and tasks.

Going to church this morning was just what I needed…a woman sang the hymn ‘Be Still My Soul’…the words really touched me:

‘Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.
Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.
Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.
Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have