Skip to main content

Monday Update: 04/21/08

Well it’s a beautiful day out today and I have the day off…YAHOO! Hope and I went to see Bon Jovi last night…and WOW it was soo much fun! It totally brought back a ton of memories from the good ‘ol days and they played some of their new stuff which was good as well. We just had the best time rockin out to the old stuff though…and I have to say Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora are still looking good!! The other two guys look good too…but let’s be honest, who cares about the other guys!? HA! Oh, we just had the BEST time! My face is still sore from all the smiling and when we walked out my voice was about an octave higher than usual from all my screaming…and singing, of course! I’m pretty sure I’ll be walking around with a goofy grin on my face all day! It was so much fun!!
I talked to Matt this weekend and he’s definitely doing well. He said one of the things which does help him feel less homesick is logging on to our local new station’s website and checking out the forecast.  He likes to watch the weather videos and it makes him feel less far away. I’m glad! Of course, I know he appreciates all the e-mails as well! He also got a care package from his sister with candy that he loved, so that cheered him up too. He did tell me that he’s been working hard to keep busy with exercises when he’s not having treatments, so he’s not spending as much time on the computer. (So if he’s e-mails are short, you’ll know why.) He’s been working on standing balance in the room and also near the windows in the hallway with Bob. He said he spent about 25 minutes on standing in the room and another 30 in the hallway! When he’s not on the computer he’s trying to go without the patch too…so we’ll see if that changes anything. He told me that a couple girls from the China Connection came in and videotaped him and they are going to do it every couple of weeks so he can see some other changes. I think this will be a neat thing to have a record of! So his days are pretty full. In the morning he has exercise for an hour in the gym and most of his treatments, then lunch break. After lunch he has another acupuncture treatment and then I think either cupping or massage…but sometimes the times are different so he just rolls with it! Then he’s been working on his exercises in the room and hallway until supper time…then after he eats he usually goes down the hall to visit someone until 9:00 or so when he comes back and gets ready for bed. So, he usually gets on the computer to read messages early in the morning and then tries to respond to them on his lunch break. I was so happy to hear how busy he’s been…and that he’s been venturing down to visit folks in the evening. I know that helps pass the time, and then he’s not spending so much time alone with Bob…who still annoys him. We’ve been talking a lot about my return trip and what I should bring with me, and about the party we’re going to have on the 7th to welcome him home and celebrate the new house. He’s really looking forward to seeing everyone and LOTS of hugs! We are both so, SO thankful for all the prayers and support you have all shown us…we are just so abundantly blessed with you all! Last week I had a few girlfriends over for dinner and girltalk. It was the first time I’d had this group over since we moved and it was a BLAST of course! We laughed, talked, and laughed some more…sometimes there is nothing quite as wonderful as girlfriends. I’m so lucky to have this group of girls. We all met while working together nearly 10 years ago! And even though we’ve all gone our separate ways professionally, we’ve always stayed in touch and make it a point to get together from time to time to gab, and LAUGH! They are a special group…my three E’s, I like to call them. Shelly, Kellie, and Holly. Of course with me we are four E’s. And our husband’s names are Mick, Mike, Matt and Matt. How goofy is that!? I always love to spend time with these girls and Thursday was great!


Popular posts from this blog

Where We're at…Right Now

This whole adoption thing is tough stuff, friends. It is a roller coaster ride like no other. And I have to be honest – I’m still not sure this will be it for us. I want to believe it is…but I’m just.not.sure. Matt and I were on our way to church yesterday, listening to the 90’s station when the cult classic ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ came on. We both giggled…and may have turned it up a tad. Near the end we both howled out a woooo-woooo in near perfect, spontaneous, unison with dear mullet headed Billy Ray. It made me laugh instantly and I blurted out ‘we’re so perfect together’. And honestly – we are.
That thought stuck with me all morning.  We.are.perfect.together.  What we have – our marriage, our friendship, our devotion and commitment to each other….they are priceless. Our union is a blessing. It is blessed. 100% meant to be. No doubt in my mind. There is no one on this planet who could ever know me like Matt. We have been through hell and back together. In the hospital, shortly after his …

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…

Mother's Day Emotions

Mother’s Day weekend is coming and I’m finding myself all sorts of emotional – go figure. I think the anticipation of how I might feel on my very first Mother’s Day after so many years of hoping, waiting, and wondering sort of made it a bit anticlimactic. Or maybe I guarded my heart a little and didn’t fully let the magnitude of my emotions wash over me. Regardless, I find myself MUCH more emotional this time around.
Last night we watched a TV show about children growing up and moving out etc…and I actually cried. All those jerks who told me how fast children grow and how quickly the time moves…were right. Of course I feel how swiftly time moves the older I get…I blinked and now I’m in my (gulp) 40’s. But I simply could not have fathomed how I would feel about the amount of time I have to be Ethan’s mother. It feels finite. Fleeting. Just not enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Ethan grow! He is learning and changing and cracking me up all the time. He loves climbing, and runn…