Skip to main content

Sunday Update: 04/27/08



Well, another busy week has come and gone and Matt and I are on the countdown until we are reunited. 28 days until I go back to China and we can see each other again…YAHOO! Hopefully these next few weeks go well, and the time passes quickly. As you can see from this recent picture that Mary sent me, Matt still has his goatee...I thought he had shaved it all off...but clearly he left most of his facial hair!

Matt had a visit from Ruth yesterday and they had a good talk. Ruth told Matt that Professor Bian is pleased with his progress so far, especially with his tremor. Matt told me that the tremor is more relaxed, especially when he’s at rest…it does still fire off more when he’s doing something like talking, but it sounds like it’s not quite as active. He also talked about an exercise that he’s been working on which really calms it down. He presses his hands together out in front of his chest, then he brings them out to the side and down. Ruth also said that while he may not see a lot of things changing now, she’s confident that in 6-9 months, he will. She mentioned that she is not the person today that she was when she first left China…that it took more time for things to come together once she returned home. He had heard her say before that it was about 6 months after leaving China that her balance really felt stable. So, we’ll just keep looking ahead for positive changes to come.

He also told me for the first time today that he thinks when he returns home he should continue with some therapy. I was pretty surprised to hear that, to tell you the truth. I figured he’d be so burned out on it all, that he’d want to just kick back and have some time to do his own thing. To live his ‘dream of doing nothing’ (to quote one of his favorite movies). So, I’m going to look into that and see what our options are with insurance and when he gets home and settled, we can evaluate what all he wants to do. He said that even if he can’t do therapy again, he’s committed to working on things at home…he’s got a list of exercises that he’s doing there and I’m sure he’ll continue to do them when he gets here. I think it’s very positive to hear him talking about continuing to work hard. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to keep on plugging away like he does. He amazes me – still. Of course, my job is just to support him in whatever he wants to do…whether it be taking time off to just be Matt, or working out a schedule for therapy and exercise…whatever he wants I’m so willing to do and stand behind him. I’m just so proud of him for getting up everyday, facing his challenges head on, and never giving up on himself and the hope for a brighter future together. I love that he is working hard to better himself and his situation while at the same time appreciating what he has…it is a good combination of gratitude and hope. No matter what he does, or doesn’t do, our life ahead is full of possibilities and we fully intend to make the most of it!! With our friends, family, and faith to guide and support us, I don’t know how we could lose! We are so, SO blessed!!

In other news, I spent some time this weekend with my dear, old friend Julie! She came down from Spirit Lake to spend the night with me last night and we just had a great time. It had been a ridiculously long time since we’ve had a chance to spend some time together and it felt so good to finally connect and catch up! She is expecting…and it was so strange and exciting to see her pregnant and talk about all the fun that goes along with that!

After struggling with infertility for years, like Matt and I, she and her husband adopted a beautiful baby boy in 2005. They were in the process of looking for another adoption when they found out that they were pregnant. It was truly a miracle – a most precious gift from God! I can only imagine how she is feeling, experiencing the wondrousness of pregnancy…something she had long given up on ever having the chance to feel. What a happy time this is for her and her family, and I was so excited to see her baby bump and help her shop for some maternity clothes!

So after my week long Bon Jovi euphoria and having spent the weekend with my best friend from high school it’s been a rather nostalgic week! But totally in a good way (like totally)… in the best way! It’s going to be hard to get back into the swing of grown up life tomorrow at work…but I’m sure I’ll manage. I’ll just have to play my Bon Jovi greatest hits on my way to and from the office!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have