Skip to main content

Monday Update: 07/07/08

I know I’m no expert on a lot of things. I don’t understand things like chemistry, and how things work, most math equations make me throw my hands up in the air and exclaim ‘who CARES who gets to the station first’, and I don’t know much about economics and the ebs and flows of the markets. I don’t claim to, and frankly, I don’t want to. I just know what works for me, and feel pretty content with my little piece of the pie. What I do know is after a long holiday weekend spent with family and friends, celebrating our nation’s beginning; I can’t help but be filled with contentment and gratitude. I skim over articles which mention things like ‘blind patriotism’ and the bad shape of things here in America…everyone pointing fingers and blame and everyone else…and I just shake my head. I wonder how anyone could look around us and not be thankful for all that we, as Americans, really do have.
I celebrate the fact that I am able to pay a few bucks and go with my niece and nephew to a public pool to swim and play the afternoon away. I celebrate the fact that I can run up to any number of nurseries and buy happy plants to my heart’s content. And then turn around and put them wherever I want to in the beautiful land that we are so lucky to own. Maybe its because we so recently saw the vast difference between our life here in Iowa and that of millions of people in China, that I can come home each day and just feel how blessed we are. Could it be better? Sure. Do I grumble at the price of gas? Sure. But really, at the end of the day, I have so, so, SO many more things to be happy about…to be thankful for. And living in this house, in this state, in this country, is a huge blessing!!! I hope I can always appreciate that what we so easily take for granted came at a price. I know that many, many sacrificed tremendously so that we could have the freedoms and futures that we have today. As much as I hate to hear the naysayer complain…the fact that they can is what makes our country great. We can all have our opinions, and we can express them, as annoying as it may be to hear. But…for me…I choose to be happy. I choose to be thankful. I am so very grateful for the opportunities I have been given.
Matt and I watched something on the History channel the other day which chronicled a little bit about each state…and we both caught the section on Iowa. Watching it, we were both filled with such a sense of pride…it was unexpected and really almost choked us up. We realized just what a great place Iowa is, how beautiful it is, and how very lucky we are to have been raised here. We wouldn’t have changed it. I know some people might read this and think I’m sappy, or cheesy…but that’s fine. I really don’t mind. I feel contentment, and I think that’s a hard thing to come by these days.
So, now that I’m off my soap box, on to other things. We did have a really great weekend. Friday morning Matt, Jay, and Chad went down to the fair grounds for the big Good Guys car show. They spent several hours there wandering around, getting sore eyes I’m sure. That afternoon we headed up to Hope and Chad’s. Hope and I took Meghan and Matthew to the pool and we had a blast playing around in the water. Meghan was so happy to have me out in the deeper water with her, throwing her up in the air and spinning her around in the water. She showed me her summersault, and how she jumped in, and all her little tricks. It was just so much fun…for ME too! Matthew splashed around in the baby pool and happily played with his trucks and balls, waving and pointing to us periodically. Afterwards we grilled out and made homemade ice cream, which we all enjoyed out on the deck. Then we headed over to Ames to watch the fireworks. We had brought sparklers with us (which were a HUGE hit with both kids). So the kids were entertained by those, and of course running around after lightening bugs, and each other. We settled down to watch the fireworks, all cozied up in our sweatshirts and blankets. It was a cool evening, just perfect for fireworks.
Saturday I planted some more plants in my front flower bed and started thinking about what I want to do around the side yard as well. That night we went out for pizza with some friends from church…finally having our first Pagliai’s pizza since we moved. Oh, how we miss Pagliai’s pizza!!!!!!!! We had a great time chatting with our friends and savoring our favorite pizza.
Sunday after church we had a quiet, lazy Sunday…which was perfect! It was a nice end to a good, long weekend…but it was hard to get back up for work today. I could really get used to being around here more!
Last week we found out that insurance will pay for more physical therapy, so we are planning to go 2-3 times a week. Initially we thought we might go for 4-6 weeks and then evaluate what to do next, so we’ll see where that takes us. Last week we did get in to see Amy on Thursday for a session, and will go again later this week. In a few weeks we head back to Iowa City for a full day. Matt will have another MRI and follow up appointments with the Neurology doctors and eye doctors. So, now it really feels like we’re getting back in to a routine of appointments here, there, and everywhere! One thing is for sure – everywhere we go they are happy to see us, and pleased to see Matt’s progress, so I guess we can't complain too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have