Skip to main content

Sunday Update: 07/27/08

It’s Sunday evening and I THINK things are finally winding down for us. The weather has been pretty crazy today, with tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings throughout the afternoon. Hopefully the worst is past us and we can now relax for the evening.

It has also been a very hectic week, and I just didn’t have much time to sit down and write an update it seemed. Work has been very busy for me, with several projects ramping up at the same time, and we had something going on nearly every night last week. Matt’s therapy schedule has geared up too, and of course, we had the trip to Iowa City. I’m HOPING this week is a little less crazy…but of course, that remains to be seen.

Matt’s appointments in Iowa City went well. He had his follow up MRI in the morning and we met with one of the neuro doctors to discuss the findings. Things looked the same, so Matt’s AVM/AVF is still stable and no further intervention is needed at this time. We’ll follow up again in 6 months or so. Then it was on to the eye doctor to see if there have been any changes in Matt’s vision since his last surgery. Unfortunately, it appears the tilting Matt was experiencing before the last surgery is pretty much back where it was…it had improved right after surgery, but over time has slowly gone back. We all agreed that Dr. Olson did everything he could do to align Matt’s eyes, but his brain is just not perceiving things to be aligned…so there’s not much else to do. They told Matt to just do what is comfortable for him, and if that means wearing the patch on the right eye all the time, that is fine. They offered to fog the lens of his right eye, but he wanted to just wear the patch and have control over whether or not the eye is exposed. Besides, he says, it leaves an air of mystery! We’re still hoping that some day the bouncing in the right eye will subside and he’ll be able to fuse the images together – but taking the patch off the right eye for extended periods of time just didn’t do anything for the bouncing and Dr. Olson is empathetic to how crazy that bouncing would tend to make someone. So, for now, Matt will just keep using the patch. It was a milestone, of sorts, being done with the eye doctors. While we didn’t achieve the results we had originally hoped for, we are grateful for the chance to try and improve things…and knowing that we don’t have to follow up with that group of doctors feels like another big step towards normal living…and I have to say, it feels good. For us, I think it’s just another thing to accept and move on with life. Even though it’s not ideal – it is livable, and we’ve definitely overcome worse obstacles than a patch!!

Therapy sessions with Amy have been going well. They’ve been working a lot on balance and coordination activities. He always works hard, and though he sometimes thinks he didn’t do so well, I’m always proud of the effort he gives. He always, ALWAYS gives 100%...even when he’s afraid to try, and even when he’s tired…he’s not a quitter.

This weekend we’ve kind of been holed up together, catching our breath after the long and busy week. It’s just what we needed. I spent some time outside today (before the storms started) planting a new batch of perennials I got with the gift certificate from Matt…and it just felt good to get dirty and check on the status of my other plants. The fence will be going up in a few weeks and then we’re planning on getting some trees planted this fall. The yard is really going to start taking shape and I couldn’t be happier about that. Even though I MEANT to phase in the plants and just concentrate on the front this year…I’ve found that working in this yard and tending to these plants is so much easier than in our old house. I wonder if part of it is because I don’t have to do so much for Matt in this house.
I feel comfortable stepping outside to play in the yard while he hangs out in the house, knowing I can just pop my head in to talk to him and he’s not clear down in the basement. I love being able to plant things while he sits near by, keeping me company. I love so much about this house and living here (aside from the creepy SPIDERS) I just don’t know if I’ll ever stop professing my contentment and happiness about it…even though I’m sure it gets old to hear. We are just so blessed to have this opportunity to live here. I simply cannot say it enough!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have