Skip to main content

Monday Update: 08/11/08

A funny thing happened on our way to buy a new bed…

So, about a year ago Matt and I decided to get a new mattress. We’d had our old one for a number of years and while we had liked having a firm mattress, after months of therapy and physical changes to Matt’s body, he started having back issues again. We went out and bought a softer pillow top mattress, but after a few nights we both agreed it was way too soft, as we were both having back issues. So (feeling a little like Goldilocks) we went back and got a firmer plush model. We both tried to convince ourselves that it would be fine…that we’d adjust to the softer mattress, but unfortunately we both seem to wake up stiff and sore now. Of course, the entire time Matt was in China he practically slept on a board, and his back felt great…NO issues. As soon as he got home, however, his back troubles flared back up again. I started researching Sleep Number beds, thinking that the ability to adjust the firmness of each side would beneficial, and found they have a store in a mall here in Des Moines. So, Saturday afternoon we headed down there to try them out in person. We sprawled out on a couple of beds, playing around with the remotes, until a saleswoman was able to come and talk to us about them. She was quick to move us over to a more middle of road model (which was of course more expensive than the one we were originally looking at). While I was a little skeptical at first, it did not take long for me to appreciate the differences…and Matt was laying there pretty comfy the whole time we talked. Well, eventually she inquired about Matt’s condition…and was floored because her brother had just had a brain stem bleed last week. She was very inquisitive about our experiences and treatments and even asked if we’d heard about treatments in China! So, of course, we were happy to volunteer information about our trip to China, the treatments, and experiences over all with therapies here and there and the long road her brother will have ahead of him. It was just such a strange coincidence…that it just couldn’t have been a coincidence. She was so touched by our story and I could tell that having us there to talk to about her brother really meant a lot. She even told a co-worker that she thought God had brought us in there just to talk about our recovery story and give her the China Connection information for her brother. It was so neat…it really felt like we were supposed to be there on that day to reassure her and give her some advice and hope for her brother. I could tell her emotions were pretty raw, given that it had just happened, and our being there really lifted her spirits. She was so appreciative she was just tickled to give us extra freebies with the purchase. It really felt good to help someone else navigate the strange waters that we’ve come to know so well. We walked out of there touched as well. Isn’t it funny how people weave in and out of our lives? Now we can look forward to our new bed being delivered and hopefully ending our sore backs for good!!

Saturday night we went over to Blake and Amy’s new house in Polk City to hang out on the patio and sample their latest homemade ice cream flavor – coconut. It was a really nice evening and we had a good time laughing and talking out on their patio. It is so nice to have them close by again…I’m sure we’ll be popping over frequently!

Pastor’s message yesterday was another good one – very applicable to us and so many people right now. It was a good sermon on faith through the tough times. So many themes that he touched on were so familiar to me in our own experiences. I think of Scott and Julie and their baby Graham…and all the difficulties they’ve been through and continue to go through. You can’t make heads or tails of things like that. You can’t understand why it would happen…and why’d they’d have to go through it. I know questions like that popped in to other people’s mind about Matt and why this had to happen to him. We’ve all had thoughts like that at one point or another. But I never like to dwell in that frame of mind…it just isn’t helpful. Pastor reminded us that God will do one of two things during a difficult time…He will either carry you through it, or deliver you from it. And He may carry you through it to get you to be the person He designed you to be. It’s something to think about…something I try to remind myself…that there is a purpose here somewhere. And I think for me, all I can do is use the time to focus on the blessings and choose to live with faith that He will see us through. It’s tough, that’s for sure…but that is what faith is all about. We sang two songs which resonated with me…always have, and always do. ‘This is the Day’ and ‘Standing on the Promises’ – if you really listen to their words, they are quite moving. While I wish that I sprung out of bed thanking God for the day He has made, instead of stumbling out of bed wishing for more hours to sleep, I do try to set my attitude before leaving the house - to take in my many blessings and the beauty of our world around us so that I can glance upwards and be thankful for the day. It was a good reminder to look around and be thankful, even in the midst of tragedy and grief, and hold on to the many promises God has made to help guide us through the rough patches.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think Chad and I should have heard that sermon also! ;)

Love you,
Hope

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have