Skip to main content

Tuesday Update: 08/05/08

I’m sorry I haven’t posted much lately…I think I’ve kind of been in a funk. A big part of the funk is the heavy heart I have right now for my dear friend Julie. I had written about her a few months ago…her and her miracle pregnancy. Well, the past few weeks have been incredibly tough for her and her husband Scott. Long story short…Julie’s baby has some major difficulties to overcome…heart and brain problems. There are a lot of unknowns at this point…but the scariness of the unknown future is at times so terribly difficult to bear. Julie has spent the past several weeks in the hospital in Sioux Falls, and her son Graham was delivered 3 weeks early, on Saturday. It is just so hard being this far away and not being able to comfort her like I want to. I don’t want to call at a bad time. I don’t want to bug her in the midst of all this…but my heart just aches for her. I hate that she has to go through this…and I just wish I were able to do something. I look back at this picture of us from high school and think about how we had our whole futures ahead of us…wide and open and bright. And we both have wonderful families and husbands to be thankful for…but then we both experienced the pain of infertility and the heartbreak that comes along with giving up on having your own biological children. It was a bitter coincidence we shared…and I took comfort in being able to confide in my closest friend about our struggles and she knew exactly how I felt. And then when they adopted Caden, I drove three hours just to spend a few hours with her and the baby, before turning around and driving 3 hours back home…I was so excited to see my Julie as a MOM! When Matt was in the hospital, she came to the ICU with cookies and a fruit basket from her mother…I think back to all the things we have been through over the years as friends, and I just feel so helpless being this far away…and not knowing what to do or say to her. I know she knows how much I care, and how much I’m thinking of her…I just wish I could be there for her. I know how faithful many of you have been in praying for us, and if you could say a little prayer for my dear friend and her tiny baby Graham, I know she’d appreciate it.

I think I’ve also just been feeling the sting of our own circumstances a little more recently too. I’m not sure why…it just comes and goes. I’m sure I must sound like a person with bi-polar disorder…the way my posts can swing from happy to sad so quickly. But sometimes when I’m feeling low, it helps to spew a little in this forum. This is the time of year for vacations and fun trips, parties, and goings on…and unfortunately hearing other people talk about these things only reminds me of our limitations. We can’t just up and go some place in a moment’s notice. We can’t just flit from here to there. As much as I wish we could…we can’t. And the reality is we may never be able to. I go back and forth between wanting to adopt children, and then thinking how hard it would be to take care of a baby and meet all of Matt’s needs as well. And yet, it seems so unfair to me to have to sacrifice one thing for another. While things are undoubtedly easier for us in the new house...I still bear the brunt of most responsibilities and after a long day of work, that wears on me. And although some might suggest Matt help pick up the slack…truly there isn’t much more he could do to lighten the load. He does a great job, doing what he can…and the rest just has to fall to me to do. And most of the time, I can take it…and I can take it with a smile and a prayer of gratefulness in my heart…but other times I just get beat down by it all and want to scream at the unfairness of it all. I don’t have someone to help carry the heavy loads, do the man jobs, or fix things, or make dinner, or get groceries…and the list goes on. I know, I know…I’m getting pretty whiney here – and I apologize for that. I don’t want to seem or be ungrateful for anything. I just try to remember that it is what it is…and I can’t do anything to change it. All I can do is try and make the most of it. And so, that is what we do.

This past weekend we had a visit from an old high school friend of Matt’s. I’ve actually never met him before, and it’d been nearly 13 years since they’d last seen each other…but he had e-mailed Matt a few times while he was in China and said he’d have to stop by sometime when he was back in Iowa. So, he stopped over for a few hours on Saturday to catch up. It was really nice for Matt and I thought it was so thoughtful of Chad to stop by. We also had Meghan overnight Saturday. We played outside in the sprinkler and she helped me plant some flowers and wash the car. She got invited to go over and play on the water slide in my neighbor’s back yard and had a blast over there for a good hour or so, while I slaved away vacuuming out the car. We had fun that evening, just hanging out. We watched a Muppet movie, played Barbie’s, and of course she got to swim in the big bath tub. She was really good the whole time and I really enjoyed having her over. She was even quiet and well-behaved in church!! One of these days I know Hope and Chad are going to try and get us to keep Matthew overnight too…but not for a while!!! He’s a little too wild for me yet!! Sunday afternoon we just hung out inside, where it was cool and comfortable and watched the race. It was just nasty hot outside and neither one of us wanted to do anything. Buddy is shedding all over the house in this heat…big tufts of black hair everywhere…got to love having pets! Hopefully our fence will be going in soon and I can enjoy letting them run around without having to worry they’ll run OFF! I’m sure they’ll enjoy that too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have