Skip to main content

Tuesday Update: 01/27/09

Sometimes a week or so goes by and I’ve not posted anything because, well…there isn’t much going on. Other times a week or so goes by and I’ve not posted because we’ve been so busy I just haven’t found the time…THIS post is the latter. Things have just been crazy busy!! But in a good way, for sure.

We found out last week that my insurance would cover the new medication that Dr. Struck prescribed, only costing us a monthly co-pay which is completely doable, considering the outrageous cost per pill. We received the first shipment yesterday and Matt took his first dose last night. We are anxiously waiting to see if this medication will help the tremor and will definitely keep you all posted! I just can’t say enough about how grateful I am for my job and my insurance…holy cow!

Last week also kicked off what turned out to be a super, busy, fun-filled birthday week! Tuesday was my good friend Gina’s birthday, born just six days before me. So Tuesday night a bunch of us went out to celebrate Gina’s birthday with a yummy dinner and drinks. Though we were by FAR the youngest group in the restaurant, the food was delicious and the laughter was flowing as usual. It was a great time! Friday night Jami and I went back to Gina’s house for a girls’ night in. We’d been planning to get together for a while, it just happened to fall right between our birthdays. Gina fixed us a delicious homemade soup and we spent the evening eating, talking, and laughing, laughing, laughing. Oh, it was a GOOD time! I treasure our friendships so much and the fact that there are two other souls out there, who completely get me and my sense of humor, is such a huge blessing to me. Saturday we headed up to the ISU/Kansas basketball game with Blake and Amy. They have an ‘in’ at the athletic dept and were able to score us good seats for free! The game was good, at times, but the Clones ultimately lost. No matter though, we had fun anyway, just being a part of Hilton magic is always fun. It had been years since I had been to a game, and I’m so glad we went…it was great! After the game we headed out to dinner at our new favorite ‘special dinner’ restaurant the Waterfront. Our dinner was just as good as New Years, and I thoroughly enjoyed my crab cakes! MMM! After dinner we went for a scoop of ice cream, where I had to try the birthday cake flavor…and it did not disappoint! Then we went back to watch a movie at their house…another great day. Saturday night we got a couple more inches of snow, and Matt was a little leery of venturing out, so we stayed home from church Sunday morning. We enjoyed the quiet morning around the house before the craziness that is the Kepler family came over! Hope, Chad, and the kids along with George and Lissa (Sandi wasn’t feeling well) came over for my family birthday dinner. We had fun hanging out, and of course, the kids helped me open presents. Matthew’s hair was getting a little long, so I got the clippers out and gave him a little buzz while the other grown ups talked around the table. George had gotten so good at tuning out all the kid commotion he was confused when we started vacuuming up the hair…’what’s that?’ he asked…completely oblivious to the screaming, squirming kid that had been there just moments before the vacuum came out. Hilarious! It was a fun evening spent with family; though I always miss my parents at times like that. Monday I had planned to take the day off, because I believe no one should have to work on their birthdays! Matt and I slept in a little, and then went out to a matinee. We saw Paul Blart, Mall Cop…and it was pretty good. I got to see a funny movie, and eat one of my favorite things….POPCORN…so it was a good day indeed. Of course I had to talk to my mom later on – because no birthday is complete with out at least talking to my parents. I’m pretty sure next year I’m going to make plans for us to be at their house on my birthday. I just really, really hate not celebrating with them. I’m a big baby, I know…but I will always want to spend that day with them.

So today I was back at work…with no birthday celebrations…and that’s ok. It was a great week with so many good times, and now I’m ready to get back into the swing of things with work and regular life.

This week, in amongst the fun times with friends and family, I couldn’t help but be reminded of how blessed I am by these wonderful relationships. I’m thankful for all of you who think of us, pray for us, support us, encourage us, laugh with us, grow with us, and love us…you are a part of us, always…and I guess if there’s one thing I’ve learned these past few years it’s the value of human relationships. They can be frustrating, they are a lot of work, but they are so worth it in the end.


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…