Skip to main content


This week I had bunion surgery on my right foot. It’s something I’ve been contemplating off and on for a while as my foot has grown increasingly painful over the past several months…but the opportunity for surgery itself popped up rather quickly. Weighing all the pros and cons to having the surgery it seemed there would never be a good time to do it. With all my responsibilities around the house I worried about the recovery time. But, talking it over with Matt we decided to take the plunge and just get it over with…crossing our fingers that the weather wouldn’t be too bad while I’m waddling around in the post-op shoe.
My mom, who had just gone home a week before after driving up for Grandma’s b-day dinner, insisted on driving back up to help me out around the house. Being the stubborn person that I am, and not wanting to burden her with another trip, I tried to reassure her that she didn’t have to come. But a mother knows better, I guess. She was 100% right. I would have been in bad, bad shape without her.
I knew that the surgery was going to be painful, but I think I told myself it just wouldn’t be that bad…I simply wouldn’t allow it to be that bad. And at first, it wasn’t. I woke up quickly from the anesthesia and felt ok. No nausea, no pain…I had 2 Diet Pepsis with crackers and felt fine. We stopped at the pharmacy, picked up a Casey’s pizza and settled in on the couch that evening and all seemed ok. Of course, my foot was still completely numb. I had no idea the pain that awaited me…until it woke me up with a jarring start at about 2:00 in the morning.
I tried to hobble my way to and from the bathroom and the pain was nearly unbearable. Laying back down I propped my foot up on extra pillows and tried desperately to calm down…but it was impossible. I had taken more pain pills, but they just weren’t taking effect. I tried to lay still, but started shaking, crying, and writhing and poor Matt went out to fetch my ice pack in an attempt to help sooth my throbbing foot. He laid next to me rubbing my arm and trying to calm me down, while I did my best to relax. 90 long minutes later, sleep finally washed over me and I was able to doze back off. When I woke up next, the pain was still there and I realized I wasn’t going to be able to walk around on it just yet. Thankfully we have an extra wheelchair that Matt uses in the basement, and Mom was able to bring that up for me to use. I spent the next few days wheeling around in the chair…so grateful we have a wheelchair friendly house AND an extra chair laying around!!
Wednesday was a pretty rough day, off and on. The pain would come and go and eventually I would succumb to the pitiful in me and break down. I’m sure Mom thought she’d never be able to leave! She busied herself fixing the meals, and running the dogs in and out, and doing all the little things I do around here. She was a true blessing to me and Matt! I simply wouldn’t have been able to care for us, the house, the dogs on my own. Matt would have been eating peanuts for supper. It would have been really, really bad without her here.
Gina stopped over Wednesday afternoon with flowers and card from her and Jami! It was a sweet surprise that truly brightened my spirits…and I placed them on the end table in front of my spot on the couch so I could see them as I worked. Thursday Hope came down for supper and a quick visit and it was good to see her as well.
Each day, the pain has gotten better and better and I’m sure that in a few more days I’ll feel a lot more mobile than I do today. Today Mom and I are heading to the doctor for a bandage change and to check on the incision. I’m excited and nervous to see what’s lurking underneath all the bandages. I know there are 2 or 3 screws in my big toe…and I have no idea how many stitches. I know they removed bone from the bunion site as well as the big toe. It makes me shudder to think about it! Bleh! But I’m hopeful that when all is said and done I won’t have the pain I had before.
It’s been weird being the patient…the person to-be-cared-for. It was odd sitting in the pre-op area in a hospital gown with Matt, Mom, and George. A weird role reversal of sorts. We were an odd group, I know! But I was so happy to have them all there for me, and to help Matt. It’s not been easy to let Mom do all she wants to do for me. I feel like I’m taking advantage of her…and I know it’s been frazzling for her to tend to us and the dogs. But I’m so very grateful for her. I will thank her repeatedly and tell her over and over how much I appreciate her, but she will brush me off and think I’m being a suck-up. She doesn’t like to get too sappy. She often mistakes my sincerity, but Mom – THANK YOU! I couldn’t have muddled through this week without you. I love you so much!


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…