Skip to main content

It's All About the Ladies!

October has been a super crazy month filled with amazing experiences, good times, and so many good friends. It was the culmination of 2 important runs for me – the Disney ½ Marathon, and also the Des Moines Race for the Cure.

As you know – it was nearly one year ago that Amy first approached me with this crazy notion of learning to run so that we could run the Race for the Cure event in honor of our friend Julie who had just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I distinctly remember how she approached me…as we were shopping at our favorite mall. I’m sure my first reaction was…um…no way. Me? Run? You’re nuts. But it didn’t take long for me to come around. I mean, just having Amy consider the idea of running was amazing enough. She has always shared my opinion that running for fun was a myth. So, I thought…if Amy wants to do it…then I suppose I can get on board. It wasn’t long before the type A personality in me found a way to tackle what was surely a very foreign concept. Researching, we were able to find a training program that suited our ‘we are not runners’ motto…and we were off learning to run. Thinking on it now – I NEVER would have imagined I’d push myself even further to tackle a ½ marathon in my first year of running newbieness. Crazy. And to think…Julie and her cancer journey is where it all started for us.

Planning the details for our growing Jogging for Julie team took a lot of time and effort, but was so worth it in the end. Seeing all the faces of Julie’s friends and family lined up in their custom shirts – it was a really neat thing to witness.
I know its easy to get caught up in the logistics of the thing…this is where we need to go, this is what we need to do, you go here, I’ll go there…etc…but actually arriving at the Capitol grounds and seeing the multitudes of people out to support those touched by breast cancer – it was amazing. To be a part of the ripple of dots pouring down the hillside…I couldn’t have imagined it. Running in Orlando was crazy – 10,000 people. Running the Race for the cure…23,000! Unbelievable!


There was the usual chaos before and after…but during the race, I felt tickled that we were actually doing it.
We had set out to run this race for our friend a year beforehand and we did it. But the best part? Julie. Having her there…seeing her flit around in her usual style…her ever present energy. How blessed are we that a year later she was healthy enough to participate!?!? When we started our running journey, neither of us knew where Julie would be a year later. She’s been through many dark, dark days…and undoubtedly endured things I’ll never know of or even be able to comprehend. But God has seen her through to today. And she simply shown with LIFE that day. I was proud to run in her honor – but more importantly, I was grateful she was able to complete the walk herself and be a part of an amazing experience that I hope will be a tradition for us for years to come…celebrating her LIFE!!

Later that night we made our way up to Conrad for a surprise 80th birthday dinner for my Grandma Maris. Mom had made a special trip back, and all the grandkids were there. She was so surprised and had a great time celebrating her life as well.
I love Grandma so much - I hope when I'm her age I have half her grace, style, and poise. She is lovely through and through.


This past weekend was another one packed with good times and good girlfriends. Saturday I was able to join Gina and Jami and a group of other girls on their annual ‘girls game’ in Iowa City.
We had a blast riding the bus over to the Iowa/Michigan State game. The game was fantastic, the weather was perfect, and the company…well, all I can really say is how much I love my girlfriends. We’ve been through a lot together over the years and I’m so grateful for each of them! I love them all SO much!!

Today my Mom is back in town - preparing to help me as I have bunion surgery on my foot. I hadn't expected her to turn around and come back so quickly...but of course, she did. It's what she does, it's who she is. A wonderful woman and mother. I'm thankful for all the amazing women in my life!

Comments

Emily said…
Girls rock the galaxy! That's why I'm going to produce a gaggle of them - apparently. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have