Skip to main content

Been Thinkin’…

We attended the funeral this week, of a woman from our church. She was well known for having a strong personality and strong opinions. She was not an easy person to read. She wasn’t afraid to speak her mind. She told it like it was. And underneath an oftentimes perceived gruff exterior, lay a heart swollen with love for others and for her God. I’m sure she was much more complex than I’ll ever know…having lived a lifetime of hardships, blessings, and no doubt heartaches. Though I didn’t know her deeply, I knew enough to smile when I think of her now. I could see the lives she touched, in her own way. She made her mark on us, in our own interactions with her. Offering us home cooked meals after Matt’s stroke, sending us cards, and she always greeted us with a big smile and hearty hello. The last time I saw her in church, a couple of small girls were giving her Valentine’s Day cards…and I could see she was truly touched and tickled.

She reminded me a lot of my Grandpa Lyle. The kind of person you may have feared at first…wanting to be sure to never be on their bad side. But then, over time, the harsh exterior layers would inevitably be worn down to reveal the soft mushy interior…even if only in small glimpses. I often lament that Grandpa died too young. I wish he had known Matt better. I wish he’d had the chance to soften even further with his great grandchildren, whom he would have adored fiercely. I wish he could have seen me grow into the woman I am today. I wonder what he’d think of me. I sometimes see his stubbornness in myself, his tendency to be gruff. I know he passed this on to my mother, and I can see it trickling down to me. I’ve certainly revealed my mush here at times…and to many of you at various times in person…but sometimes I’m actually AWARE that how I’m responding to someone isn’t truly how I feel about them. I can tell I’m holding back. Maybe deep down, I worry that if I reveal how much I care – it will end up hurting me in the end. Which is silly, I know. At this point in my life, why should I care? Life IS too short. I’ve lived that first hand. We simply don’t have nearly as much time with each other as we think we will.

A week or so ago, Pastor played a song in church, which spoke about this very thing…

If I Had Only Known

If I had only known
It was the last walk in the rain
I'd keep you out for hours in the storm
I would hold your hand
Like a life line to my heart
Underneath the thunder we'd be warm
If I had only known
It was our last walk in the rain
If I had only known
I'd never hear your voice again
I'd memorize each thing you ever said
And on those lonely nights
I could think of them once more
Keep your words alive inside my head
If I had only known
I'd never hear your voice again
You were the treasure in my hand
You were the one who always stood beside me
So unaware I foolishly believed
That you would always be there
But then there came a day
And I turned my head and you slipped away
If I had only known
It was my last night by your side
I'd pray a miracle would stop the dawn
And when you'd smile at me
I would look into your eyes
And make sure you know my love
For you goes on and on
If I had only known
If I had only known
The love I would've shown
If I had only known

I had to sit there looking at the plants, the paint, the carpet…anything to distract myself from the sentiment of the song. Even looking at the words now, I can’t help but feel the tears welling up. It’s just so true. And I don’t want to live my life with the regret that I didn’t show the love in my heart for others. If you are in my life, I want you to feel how much you mean to me. Even if its random hugs and strange bouts of unexpected mushiness…just know that it is ultimately because I love you. And I never want you to doubt it.

I know I’m not always an easy person to read. I know I can appear gruff, judgy, opinionated. But inside, I am full of love for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

A Glimpse Into Open Adoption

If you had been a customer of the Longhorn Steakhouse on Highway 19 in Palm Harbor, FL last Sunday night, you may have seen two couples walking through the restaurant, oogling a sweet baby boy on the way to their table. You may have commented on how cute he was. You may have thought he looked a lot like the woman carrying him. You may have wondered about the man in the wheelchair. But you likely would not have assumed you’d be witnessing this baby’s biological parents sit down to dine with his adoptive parents. It’s a scene I’ve been playing over and over in my mind as I recount the wonderful experiences of our trip to Florida. The magnitude of that moment, that evening, will never be lost on me. It was incredible to be a part of – and I’m so very grateful we had it. We had met up with Ethan’s birthmother, L, earlier in the day. She hadn’t seen him since he was a few hours old and was anxiously waiting for us outside a local mall. As soon as we saw each other the tears welled up in o

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the mon