Skip to main content

A SPRING in My Step

So it’s no small coincidence that today there seems to be a sizable spring in my step and width to my smile. It is bright and sunny outside, the breeze is noticeably warming, and our trip to paradise (i.e.Hawaii) is just around the corner. Ahh…what could I find to possibly complain about today?

The past few weeks have been busy with this and that, but with each passing week of gloomy, gray, dirty last-few-weeks-of-winterness, I found myself moving about at a very sluggish and mopey pace. I was sooo tired of winter; so tired of bundling up each morning, so tired of random snow showers, so tired of staring angrily at the stubborn pile of snow in the cul-de-sac behind us…willing it to shrink away and finally reveal the sidewalk below it. It seemed spring would never come…our dear friend Phil had fooled us yet again…dirty rodent. I was grumbly, impatient, IRRITATED!!!! How much longer? HOW MUCH LONGER!?!?!? And then finally…I believe we have turned the corner.

I see buds on trees…I see robins scurrying about. I hear motorcycles and kids playing outside. I think…I.am.going.to.make.it!!! Of course it helps also that in every spare moment Matt and I are dreaming, researching, planning, or discussing plans for our trip. We are both so excited we can barely contain ourselves…this dream we’ve had for so long is about to come true…it hardly seems real. I close my eyes and I picture us on the beach…swimming in the ocean…laughing and smiling at all the beauty around us. I think of the freedom he is going to experience floating around in the water…of how pruned my hands are bound to be from endless hours of swimming. I think of the sounds the waves must make on the shore, and the beautiful sunsets we’ll see each evening. I think of all these things and the smile creeps back onto my face, unknowingly.

I found myself focused so intently on Hawaii dreaming during yoga class today – I’m sure the instructor wondered what I was sooo happy about as we moved from strenuous pose to challenging stretch. But the music she played took me to the Hawaii of my dreams and I couldn’t help but think that soon…SOON we will be there. I know that my dreams will pale in comparison to the real thing. I know that once my body has experienced swimming in the ocean, I’ll never want to get out. I know that once we visit Hawaii, it will be a part of us forever…and oh, I just can’t WAIT!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have