Skip to main content

Trusting Through It

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about trust. Trusting in my future. Trusting in the bigger plan.  Trusting that come what may, I will have what I need to get through, just as I have time and time again. It’s so hard, when you’re in the middle of a trial or a struggle of some sort – to trust that better days are ahead. It’s hard when things seem to be falling out of place to see how the pieces are supposed to fit together.  When what you thought was the plan, turns out not to be, it’s hard.
In my own life, I’ve struggled with trusting through trials. Sometimes trust came easier than others.  When Matt had his stroke I had no choice. Trusting was all I had; it was all I could do. It was very clear right from the start that nothing I did, or didn’t do, was going to have much impact on the outcome. Of course we would commit to following the doctor’s protocols, enduring months of rehabilitation and hard work and the end result would be progress and a life worth living. But in that time, I had to trust.  Trust that the money would be there to fund all that rehab. Trust that we would be able to make ends meet on my salary alone. Trust that my job would be flexible and waiting for my fulltime return. Trust that Matt would progress enough to come home. Trust that we would be able to modify our home enough for him to be somewhat independent. Trust that someday Matt would return to me, to himself, in some way or another. Trust that in the end we would have what we needed to make it through the worst of times. And boy, did we ever.
We were blown away by the blessings which came to us through that dark time. The generosity from friends, family, and even strangers was incredible. Piece after miraculous piece seemed to fall into place after our lives completely blew up. Our hearts were full of gratitude and humility. So many amazing gifts and friends came to us as a direct result of Matt’s stroke. It changed us completely. People would try to commend me, us, for our strength and perseverance. But again and again I would point the finger elsewhere. It didn’t come from me. It came TO me. We were blessed with God’s peace, strength, and hope. It is through Him alone that we came through all of that as we have.
But I’ve been struggling more recently with trusting in God’s plan for our family. I hate to say it out loud, and I don’t speak about it a lot…but it’s true. We are infertile. We will not be able to have a family of our own without a lot of medical intervention. And we’ve medically intervened about as much as a couple possibly can. We’ve paid thousands upon thousands of dollars for various treatments.  We spent countless months and years hoping, wishing, and trying for a baby of our own. We’ve given up, and tried again, and given up at least a handful of times. And yet we still want to try again. I have to believe that the yearning in our hearts to have a family is there for a reason. I have to believe that the amazing love I see between Matt and other children is there for a reason. I have to believe that there will be a happy end to this story…eventually. But then again…it’s not up to me. We have done just about everything in our power to achieve this dream, but so far the happy ending eludes us. It’s frustrating, needless to say. It’s heartbreaking – in ways that no one can understand because EVERYONE I know, even those who struggled with infertility, eventually found a way to their children.  Who can possibly know what it feels like to honestly contemplate never being able to fulfill that dream? Who can know that deep, DEEP hurt? Only one. And He is who I have to trust.
I have to trust that if this prayer is not to be answered as I have so desperately hoped it would…I will still be ok. We will still be ok. Despite all we have done to try and make it happen – at the end of the day, life is a miracle and we simply can’t will it to be.  It’s hard to give up that control – I’m not 100% there yet. But I’m trying…
This past week our church was faced with a situation where trusting in God’s plan and will for our church’s future was tested…a lot. As a result, many are questioning, doubting, hurting, and struggling as they try to make heads or tails of things.  Sunday’s service did a lot, I hope, to help heal the hurt felt in the congregation. The service was uncannily presented to help us try and focus on trusting once again.  As we all gathered, arm in arm, to sing the old Hymn ‘Great is Thy Faithfulness’, there were many wet eyes and quivering chins…myself included. I needed to hear this message. Not just in the context of the trials in my church family…but also in my own life and my struggle with infertility. I needed to be reassured, as only the Holy Spirit can, that God is faithful…to me. That He will see me through today, just as He has time and time again. That come what may – baby or no baby – what Matt and I have together is beautiful. And strong. And a wonderful, wonderful gift from God himself. And that is not nothing.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have