Skip to main content

Tuesday Update: 11/1/05 – NOVEMBER???? Holy buckets!!!!

Blessings for the day:
I had my first scheduled day back to work! I came here at 7 to greet Matt and help him get ready for the day with his occupational therapist, and then headed over to work around 8:30 when they came to get him for physical therapy. It was harder than I thought it would be, leaving him. We had talked a lot about me coming back in the mornings and Matt was ok with it. Then, yesterday, he told me that he needed me here. I told him I would still be here…a lot…just not all day long anymore. This morning the nurses came in to get him up and asked him if I was going to work today and he said yes…though he didn’t look very happy about it. He realizes the good in me working half days and I think his confidence/comfort level here is increasing all the time. It was just so nice that all the therapists and nurses KNEW I was going back to work today. Communication…what a concept! It’s so great to have the right hand talking to the left hand. That was something that was really disconnected at the nursing facility.

This morning when I asked Matt if he had a good night’s sleep…he said YES!! (This is the first time in several weeks that he’s said that!) I was SO happy about it! He had a good night, was rested, and was ready to get going this morning. He did a bang up job getting dressed and ready today! I can’t wait to hear how the rest of his therapies went! I just got back here from work and he was sleeping peacefully in bed! His schedule had him booked from 7-11:30! A busy morning! The afternoon is a little more spread out, so he’ll have a couple nice breaks. It should work out good for me to work in the mornings and come back here around noon! It was so good for me to get back to work, see my co-workers, and start digging in to some work activities. I am so very thankful for such a great job, with such thoughtful and caring co-workers. I am so blessed by them.

Matt and I met with another speech therapist yesterday that is certified to do electric stimulation on his face. She went over the therapy with us and we were both excited to get started with that. The movements on Matt’s right side of his face are better than they were, but still not as good as the left side. This e-stim (as they call it) should help to wake up the muscles in the face and get them working properly again. I’m also anxious to hear how that went. (I’ll post more when I can…just fitting in this dialog while he’s snoozing.)

Matt has demonstrated a good swallow, as I’ve mentioned before, and yesterday he got to work on that swallow more with some COKE! He was so excited! The therapist gave him a little squirt way in the back of his mouth and he’d swallow that right up. He loved having a sip of something so yummy! He did so well with that, they are very reassuring that he is on his way to eating/talking again soon! YAHOO!

My Mom came back up from Texas last week and will most likely be staying with me until Thanksgiving, when my Dad comes up. It was so wonderful for her to come back to help me out with things around the house. She went to the grocery store for me (can you believe I haven’t been there since I posted it a few weeks ago!!??) and last night I came home to beef and noodles, mashed potatoes, and apple pie. How much better can it get? I am going to be spoiled by her! Moms are great that way…and mine is better than I could have ever imagined. My parents are so good. I am blessed with wonderful family. Last Friday my Aunt Carolyn and Aunt Barb took me out to lunch! They had been to the Paul McCartney concert the night before (and were still giddy with excitement and groupie-fever) and stopped by to take me out. It was so great to see them too, and have a nice lunch out with them.

Things are just going so great here. I am confident that they will continue that way…thanks to Matt’s determination, your loving thoughts, and the many prayers you’ve sent his way. We are continually humbled by the love and support we’ve received…I will never be able to thank you all enough.


Emily and Matt,

Read the Tuesday blog 11-1. Praise the Lord for daily blessings! Matt with the Coke, and you coming home to a fully home-cooked meal.

Tell your Mom that Pastor Dean said HI. I'll be in to see you guys when I'm back from vacation next week.

Keep the FAITH! We're praying for you (all your family at Westover Baptist Church).

With love,

Pastor Dean

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…