Skip to main content

Tuesday Update: 11/8/05

Blessings for the day:
Matt’s sense of humor and cocky little attitude are returning!!! I told the nurses and therapists to watch out…they’re about to get to know the real Matt. He did so well this morning in OT that every time the therapist would say good job he’d nod his head and smile…like ‘yeah, I know’. He actually started saying ‘damn right’…as if to say ‘yeah, I’m awesome’. It cracked everyone up. The speech therapist was so excited to hear he’d been working on saying real words, since she’s mostly working on sounds.

The therapists, nurses, and doctors had their weekly meeting today to discuss Matt’s progress. They all agree he’s doing really well. They want to work harder on his balance and strength in his trunk muscles. So, they are still going to have him up walking, but will concentrate more this week on doing balancing exercises. Getting all the balance he can in his upper body will help him do everything better. I was glad to hear that, because I was worried they weren’t working those muscles enough, but were too focused on the walking. Walking is important, of course, but it’s not the only thing he needs to work on. They are going to be increasing his afternoon PT session to a full hour as well! This means he’ll have 2 hours of OT, 2 hours of PT, and 2 hours of Speech therapy Monday thru Friday! That’s a full schedule, but he’s up to it! They are working him hard, and it’s going to pay off in the end. He knows this and pushes through the times when he’s feeling low or frustrated, knowing that he’s got to do these things to get better.

Matt has been having a lot of tightness in the muscles in his right arm; bicep, tricep, and hand. These muscles tense up and he has a hard time getting them to relax. These muscle spasms aren’t really painful to him, but rather just annoying. They also make it hard for him to perform all his exercises designed to work on reaching and grabbing. Apparently Botox, injected into the muscles, helps them to relax. So, Thursday the Neurologist is going to give him some Botox injections! I was teasing him, saying he’s having some ‘work done’ while here! He’s very excited though, and we hope that these injections really help the muscles start behaving themselves.

Matt has been working harder and harder on trying to say what he wants/needs etc. We are all encouraging him to try to say it before spelling it out. He will usually try, though it is still frustrating for him at this point. However…when he slows it down and tries to say each word individually…I’ve actually been able to understand some things. He told me today (after I brought ice cream in to snack on) ‘I hope you enjoyed your ice cream’. No sarcasm there! HA! I just laughed and stuck out my tongue. I told him when he can eat it, our friends Blake and Amy offered to make him his own BATCH of ice cream!!! So that shut him up!

Everyday Matt does well. I think he’s truly feeling better and stronger all the time. I know we all have to be patient…but I just can’t wait for this all to be behind us!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Emily and Matt, I am so excited for the progress Matt is making. It has been wonderful to check the internet for updates. Please know that we think of you guys often and will be waiting to see you at the going home party. God bless you both. Keep up the good work and don't be giving the therapists a hard time. HEE HEE
God Bless you both
Lisa,PT and the rest of the rehab department at FHCC.

Popular posts from this blog

I Was Born in a Small Town

So we’ve decided to move. We love Ankeny, our house, and our neighborhood so it’s a little bittersweet to think about moving, but ever since Ethan came along - oh how things have changed. When we set out to build a wheelchair friendly house for Matt nearly 9 years ago, we were mainly focused on the functionality inside the house. While of course we wanted the ease and function of zero grade entry, we also yearned for the freedom he would know in a house with wider doorways and room to maneuver the bulky chair. In our old house there were literally rooms he never went into, simply because he couldn’t get through. Our Ankeny home was a dream come true in so many ways. And it was lovingly planned out and put together by so many incredibly generous and thoughtful people. We were humbled time and time again with how things came together for us in that house. I’ll never forget coming home for the first time with Matt after our long, exhausting trip back from China. It was late, we were jet …

Where We're at…Right Now

This whole adoption thing is tough stuff, friends. It is a roller coaster ride like no other. And I have to be honest – I’m still not sure this will be it for us. I want to believe it is…but I’m just.not.sure. Matt and I were on our way to church yesterday, listening to the 90’s station when the cult classic ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ came on. We both giggled…and may have turned it up a tad. Near the end we both howled out a woooo-woooo in near perfect, spontaneous, unison with dear mullet headed Billy Ray. It made me laugh instantly and I blurted out ‘we’re so perfect together’. And honestly – we are.
That thought stuck with me all morning.  We.are.perfect.together.  What we have – our marriage, our friendship, our devotion and commitment to each other….they are priceless. Our union is a blessing. It is blessed. 100% meant to be. No doubt in my mind. There is no one on this planet who could ever know me like Matt. We have been through hell and back together. In the hospital, shortly after his …

Mother's Day Emotions

Mother’s Day weekend is coming and I’m finding myself all sorts of emotional – go figure. I think the anticipation of how I might feel on my very first Mother’s Day after so many years of hoping, waiting, and wondering sort of made it a bit anticlimactic. Or maybe I guarded my heart a little and didn’t fully let the magnitude of my emotions wash over me. Regardless, I find myself MUCH more emotional this time around.
Last night we watched a TV show about children growing up and moving out etc…and I actually cried. All those jerks who told me how fast children grow and how quickly the time moves…were right. Of course I feel how swiftly time moves the older I get…I blinked and now I’m in my (gulp) 40’s. But I simply could not have fathomed how I would feel about the amount of time I have to be Ethan’s mother. It feels finite. Fleeting. Just not enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Ethan grow! He is learning and changing and cracking me up all the time. He loves climbing, and runn…