Skip to main content

A Few Words about our Cat…Steve

Our cat, Steve, is what we have lovingly called the ‘World’s Greatest Cat’. He is the opposite of most cats, who are often too independent and skiddish to be of much fun. Unlike most cats, our Steve prefers to cuddle, hang out, snooze, and just plain be lazy. He is also, not the most nimble of felines. He tends to miss his target when attempting to jump on small surfaces, he has been known to roll off the edge of the bed and land with a thud, and generally moves pretty slow (unless our niece Meghan is approaching with her high pitched squeal of delight…’KITTY’!). Every once in a while he gets a wild hair up his butt and runs around like a crazed animal…but it’s pretty rare, and mostly in the evening when we are all downstairs. We will hear him running around the upstairs in a wild frenzy…I think just reveling in the fact that the dogs are downstairs and he’s got a few moments of freedom. And then, he just kicks back and takes a nap.
Well, Steve is apparently completely lost without Matt. He has always preferred to snuggle up on his side of the bed, then moving to my feet when Matt kicks him out…and he would always snuggle up with Matt as he read a magazine or watched TV. Now that it’s just me at home, he’s driving me berserk! I kept telling Matt that I wasn’t sleeping very well at night…and I thought it was due to the fact that he wasn’t there beside me. Well, I think I’ve discovered that my restless nights are a direct result of the cat driving me nuts!
He jumps up at night (just as I’m starting to doze off) and gets right in my face, purring, his whiskers tickling my cheek as he sniffs my face. I shove him aside and he curls up…kneading on whatever he can reach…an arm, a cheek, my neck, whatever. This, of course, drives me crazy and I have to push him aside again…but he bounces back as though his rear end is securely fastened to the bed and his body is made of rubber. I put my hand out to block his kneading little paw and he just kneads on my hand. I attempt to shove him towards the edge of the bed and he dodges my blow and jumps (with unexpected agility) to the foot of the bed…where he slowly circles around and makes his way back up the other side to repeat the process all over again. If I roll over, he follows me…trying to curl up in my face again. I swear…he never used to sleep in my face! He always curled up at the foot of the bed, like a nice, respectable cat…but now, it’s a whole different ballgame! I’m pretty sure this struggle goes on for at least an hour…and then repeats itself whenever I get up to use the bathroom, or roll over. UGH! I can only hope that Matt can kick Steve back into shape when he comes home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was Born in a Small Town

So we’ve decided to move. We love Ankeny, our house, and our neighborhood so it’s a little bittersweet to think about moving, but ever since Ethan came along - oh how things have changed. When we set out to build a wheelchair friendly house for Matt nearly 9 years ago, we were mainly focused on the functionality inside the house. While of course we wanted the ease and function of zero grade entry, we also yearned for the freedom he would know in a house with wider doorways and room to maneuver the bulky chair. In our old house there were literally rooms he never went into, simply because he couldn’t get through. Our Ankeny home was a dream come true in so many ways. And it was lovingly planned out and put together by so many incredibly generous and thoughtful people. We were humbled time and time again with how things came together for us in that house. I’ll never forget coming home for the first time with Matt after our long, exhausting trip back from China. It was late, we were jet …

Where We're at…Right Now

This whole adoption thing is tough stuff, friends. It is a roller coaster ride like no other. And I have to be honest – I’m still not sure this will be it for us. I want to believe it is…but I’m just.not.sure. Matt and I were on our way to church yesterday, listening to the 90’s station when the cult classic ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ came on. We both giggled…and may have turned it up a tad. Near the end we both howled out a woooo-woooo in near perfect, spontaneous, unison with dear mullet headed Billy Ray. It made me laugh instantly and I blurted out ‘we’re so perfect together’. And honestly – we are.
That thought stuck with me all morning.  We.are.perfect.together.  What we have – our marriage, our friendship, our devotion and commitment to each other….they are priceless. Our union is a blessing. It is blessed. 100% meant to be. No doubt in my mind. There is no one on this planet who could ever know me like Matt. We have been through hell and back together. In the hospital, shortly after his …

Mother's Day Emotions

Mother’s Day weekend is coming and I’m finding myself all sorts of emotional – go figure. I think the anticipation of how I might feel on my very first Mother’s Day after so many years of hoping, waiting, and wondering sort of made it a bit anticlimactic. Or maybe I guarded my heart a little and didn’t fully let the magnitude of my emotions wash over me. Regardless, I find myself MUCH more emotional this time around.
Last night we watched a TV show about children growing up and moving out etc…and I actually cried. All those jerks who told me how fast children grow and how quickly the time moves…were right. Of course I feel how swiftly time moves the older I get…I blinked and now I’m in my (gulp) 40’s. But I simply could not have fathomed how I would feel about the amount of time I have to be Ethan’s mother. It feels finite. Fleeting. Just not enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Ethan grow! He is learning and changing and cracking me up all the time. He loves climbing, and runn…