Skip to main content

Monday Update: 11/27/06

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Well, we had ourselves a busy, but wonderful Thanksgiving. We loaded ourselves up and headed up to my Grandma Maris’ for lunch. I had asked Matt the night before if he’d be willing to try going without the wheelchair. (We had gone up to celebrate Matt’s Grandma’s birthday last weekend in Boone, and we also left the wheelchair at home.) It was a bit scary, leaving that piece of security behind…but it was also a little bit freeing for me. I thoroughly enjoyed not having to lug the chair in and out! Anyway, Matt was up for the challenge and we took off with just the walker. We did a lot of walking that day…and it went just fine! Matt was able to walk up and sit down at the table with everyone, and it was no big deal! I was so proud of him for taking a chance and giving it a try. My Grandparents on my Dad’s side were also getting together Thursday, but we did not plan to stop by. It was a little out of our way, and we figured we’d be too pooped to head over there too. But, on the way home I sort of got my second wind and really wanted to stop by and surprise my Grandma Betty and Grandpa Gene. So, Matt agreed, and we swung around and headed over there. My uncle Larry was outside when we pulled up and was tickled pink to see us…as was everyone else. It was so great to surprise them and see their smiling, loving faces! We sat down and had a little more turkey and cookies and visited there for a few more hours. I am SO glad we did it!

We had such a good time seeing everyone and visiting…we missed not having my parents there, but it was a good day. This year, perhaps more than ever, I feel we have so much to be thankful for. I couldn’t help but think about how things were last Thanksgiving…when Matt was only able to come home from the hospital for the day. It was so wonderful at the time, to be able to get home and see his family…but when I think about how far we’ve come, it is truly amazing. Last year, he was just beginning to eat real food and he still had to have tube feedings until shortly after Thanksgiving. Last year, he couldn’t talk much at all…and hardly anyone could understand what he did say. Last year, I had to have his dad come to the hospital and help us get loaded up and home. When I think of all of that…and then think of this year and our stops at two places and all that walking and all that talking and all that eating…it is definitely a lot to be thankful for!!

Friday I wanted to run some errands and get some garland for the front porch. It was such a beautiful day, Matt came with me just to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. When we got home, he sat outside and helped me hang the garland. (He helped me figure out the best way to do it…which is why I always need his help…I get too frustrated and throw fits, while he remains level headed and is able to see things through logically.) We spent the rest of the afternoon decorating the house for Christmas; putting up the tree, putting out the decorations, and listening to our Christmas cds all the while. I had a pork roast cooking in the kitchen, Matt relaxing with a book on the couch, the front door open and sunshine streaming in…what could be better? It was another great day! These last few weeks, I just feel overwhelmed with gratitude. We are both so very grateful for the many, many blessings in our lives, and mostly for each other. I’ll never be able to capture in words how good it feels to have days like Friday.

On Saturday we headed up to Roland for our niece Meghan’s 4th birthday party. We enjoyed another afternoon with family, watching her open presents and thriving in the spotlight. Little Matthew was his usual charming self…smiling and playing. He loves the sound of his Uncle Matt’s voice and he gets so excited when he starts talking to him. It is SO cute! We spent the rest of the evening up there, just us. We ordered pizzas, watched a movie, and played with the kids. It was another great day!

Sunday, we were pooped. I started to feel a little bit like I was coming down with something, so we stayed in. We watched movies and just took it easy. It was good to have a day to rest up before heading back in to another work week.

Overall, the long holiday weekend was wonderful for us. We spent a lot of time with family, and with each other. We reveled in our holiday traditions, decorating our house, and making plans for holiday get togethers. We have so much…SO much to look forward to. Last year we were so happy to be able to celebrate the holidays at home…this year, we have even more to be thankful for…and I don’t see any reason why next year won’t be even better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have