Skip to main content

Thursday Update: 03/20/08

We officially closed on the sale of our old house yesterday!!! YAHOO!! It feels so good to have that piece of the puzzle finally completed! I met with the bank this week to talk about our options for the mortgage on the new house and hopefully we can close and get that wrapped up next week. While I’m not really looking forward to the bigger mortgage…it is sooo worth it!!! Plus, I just got a promotion at my job so the extra money will help with that too! It really feels like things are falling in to place…and again I feel so grateful.

Last night was my first evening/night alone in the house. Mom left yesterday morning. I just have to say…she was great. Having her there meant so much to me, especially since Matt was gone. To me, there is no one like my mom. She knows just how to help me out, and I appreciate it so much. I came home from work Monday night and she had been to the store and was fixing supper. We had spent much of last week eating fast food here and there and it was so nice to finally sit down and have a home cooked meal! (And I’ve been enjoying the leftovers all week). She had even taken Buddy outside for me so I could just come home and relax! Mom – thank you so much for your help, your support, your unconditional love even when I’m snippy, crabby, or unreasonably anal. I could not have made it through these past few weeks without you!!

Surprisingly, I slept well last night! I spent the evening organizing bathroom stuff and just continuing to put things away, while Steve and Buddy followed me around lounging in whichever room I was in. I can tell they are both acclimating themselves nicely to the new house. Steve is finding all kinds of nice places to sprawl out and I know he’ll love the sunny living room during the day. Buddy did fine all day yesterday and is adjusting to me walking him just fine. He’s been SO good, but I will be happy when Penny can come home too!

I talked to Matt last night and things are going well there. He said that they started exercising in the new gym and he sent me some pictures of it. He said he was hot, because there is a big sky light in the gym…but of course the helpers are always cold. I don’t know what they would think of our winter temperatures here!
Matt’s been working on the bike, the Cybex machine, and doing leg extensions. At first the helpers put less weight on his right leg, assuming it was weaker, but Matt wouldn’t have that! He was eventually able to convince them that his right leg could handle the weight like the left…lack of strength has never really been his problem. He’s been working on tossing a ball, and they have him shooting at a basket…but he hasn’t been able to make any yet. Although, he does think he has more control when throwing. Mary is going to buy him some granola bars to munch on when he gets a meal he doesn’t like. Apparently he had a pork chop this week that had some bones in it…which of course creeped him out! He also ordered BBQ beef…and described it as more like vegetable soup with BBQ sauce and sweet potatoes in it. MMM. It makes me feel good that Mary is there to help him out though, taking care of him like that…how wonderful!! Matt also said Bob is driving him a little nuts…but who wouldn’t after being around each other so much? Little things like the way he eats bug Matt! HA! But Matt also said that he has never felt so much like a handicapped person as he does there…that Bob won’t let him do anything. It’s such a contradiction from the way he has been treated here – learning to do everything he can on his own and be independent. I told him to speak to the China Connection representative about it and I would also send a message. Bob should be there to help with the things Matt can’t do, and keep him safe from falling…but Matt can and should still be able to do the things he manages on his own. Just last night I could hear Bob trying to get Matt to get off the phone so he could take him to exercise, even though they still had 10 minutes before he had to be there. Matt just needs to be more assertive and tell them what he does and doesn’t want…after all, we’re paying for Bob. Hopefully they can get that worked out soon, so he doesn’t feel quite so smothered.

Overall though, Matt’s attitude is still good. He’s still feeling like he is in the right place and working hard to be patient and trust. The doctors want to focus their acupuncture on his vision and tremor, so we’ll see what happens! He thinks maybe the tremor is a little better and he is able to calm it down when having treatments a little better than before, so that’s good! Matt was blown away by all the help we had with the move and wishes we could buy you all steak dinners! Just know that your help eased his worry, and he is also very thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have