Skip to main content

Thursday Update: 03/27/08

It’s hard to believe we’re closing in on the end of Matt’s first month in China! At times it seems that it has gone quickly, and other times it seems like June 1st is an eternity away. It helps that we are able to talk to each other a couple times a week, and of course we e-mail each other everyday. Did I mention that I need to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet? It’s really helped us a lot! (ha)

All in all, I’d say Matt and I are both doing well…keeping busy and staying positive. But, we both also have our moments…moments when we just miss each other so much. I might see something or hear about something and want to show him or tell him right away, but I can’t. I just miss having him around…to talk to, to hug, to share funny thoughts from my day with…I will be so happy when he is back home again…completing our little family. In the mean time, I am determined to fill my time with friends, family, and fun!

Tonight I have someone coming out to measure windows for blinds and talk about possibly ordering window treatments…FUN! Tomorrow a bunch of us from work are going out to celebrate our promotions…also FUN! Saturday should be a nice quiet day at home. I’m looking forward to sleeping in and cleaning the house for the first time…trying to set up some sort of cleaning routine in the new house…FUN! (Well, it is for me anyway.) And Sunday I’m looking forward to church and then watching the race…FUN again!! (Even though it’s not the same without Matt.)

Things are starting to feel more settled in the new house, having rearranged things a few different times. I think I have a good flow going now. The boxes are dwindling and it’s starting to feel more like a home and less like a construction zone. The BIG news this week is that we finally got our driveway poured! YAHOO!! I came home yesterday and they were just finishing up…of course it’s raining today, which hopefully won’t cause any problems with it!! I can walk on it this weekend, and drive on it after 2 weeks. I can’t WAIT to be able to pull the car up in the garage…but for now, I’ll be happy to just walk up a paved driveway, instead of carefully maneuvering over plywood and pallets (not easy to do in heels!). Of course, these next few days of walking Buddy out in the sandy/muddy back yard will be fun…but it’s only temporary, so I’m sure I can handle it!

Matt also sent me some updated pictures of him at the gym. I think he looks great…what a site for sore eyes!! (Have I mentioned how much I miss him??) Of course, I see the ‘rehab beard’ has returned…the beard he always grows when I’m not around all the time. It’s just easier not to have to mess with shaving and I’m not there to give him crap about his ‘scruffiness’, so I think he enjoys letting it all hang and GROW out!


He’s been working on walking in the parallel bars, which of course is nothing new to him, but I think gives them a better idea of how he walks and in a safer environment. You can see Bob standing by his bike and also behind him in the parallel bars.
He’s never far away…that’s for sure! Bob also brought in the plants here, which are supposed to promote good health…or ‘something’ to quote Matt.
They’ve been getting along well, and things are going well. Matt was finally approved to start up his herbal soaks again this week…I guess the wound has finally healed! (I’m just SURE that Neosporin would have done the trick much faster…but what do I know!?)


Matt has had several people tell him that his speech seems to be improving, though he still remains somewhat skeptical. He also noticed that his chewing, swallowing, eating all seem to be returning to a more normal feel. He said that before he always had to think a lot about chewing and when to swallow, but recently he has noticed that his tongue is moving the food all around like normal, and swallowing as he’s eating…without thinking about it – it’s just more normal and natural feeling. It’s a little thing, but definitely something new!

Matt got his first pieces of mail this week too, a couple cards! I’m not sure how long it took to get there, so I’m not sure I’ll be sending him much in the mail. E-mail is so quick and easy for me, that’s probably what I’ll do most. He loves getting all the messages – I know it lifts him up to know so many people are rooting for him and just keeping in touch. It helps…a lot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have