Skip to main content

Monday Update: 12/8/08

November…where did you go!?!?

I just can’t believe we are well into December now…the time is really just flying by. I know I’ve been really bad about posting updates, but things have just been so hectic. The holiday rush is in full swing and just tonight I finally feel a little calmer about things.

We had a great Thanksgiving at Mom and Dad’s in Texas…oh, it was just the best time. We flew down on the 24th with Hope, Chad, and the kids…YIKES! Both kids traveled pretty darn well though, and we arrived in warm, sunny Texas all in one piece. It was so great to pull out the flip flops and sandals for one more hoorah! We spent most of the next few days just hanging out…quality time as a family and it was SORELY overdue! I wanted to soak as much of it up as possible. We celebrated Thanksgiving with a wonderful meal together, followed by a birthday celebration for Dad and Meghan. (They both loved the Barbie cake!)

We spent time playing with the kids outside, running around the yard, writing in chalk on the porch, watching Dad and Meghan ride around on the 4 wheeler, and just plain being together. It just could not have been a better way to celebrate Thanksgiving, as I am always so very, very thankful for my family. Matt and I stayed a few days after the Kepler’s left and it was nice to have some time to visit with Mom and Dad alone. We went to church with them and met some of the wonderful folks who have often held us up in their prayers over these past few years. There were many warm smiles, hearty handshakes, and knowing, empathetic looks in their eyes. It was so nice to be able to meet some of them in person. Mom, Matt, and I ventured out on Monday to lunch at a local restaurant overlooking the river there in San Marcos. It was a bit chilly for the locals…a brisk 68…but we sat on their covered deck with the heaters on and soaked up the beautiful weather and scenery together while enjoying the yummy lunch. Matt and I refused to say it was cold out…knowing full well what waited for us back home!

Matt and I headed back home in the wee hours of December 2nd…we were back in Des Moines (where the temps were in the TWENTIES and the ground was snow covered – the Texans would DIE) by about 10:30 in the morning. I was sure I’d be pooped and ready to crash when we got home…but instead I got my second wind and turned into a Christmas decorating fool. We put up the big Christmas tree in the living room as well as a smaller one in the office. I ran out to get more lights and Matt helped me put out all the little Christmas/winter décor. I don’t think I stopped and sat down until about 9:00 that night…and then, yeah, I crashed! It seems like things have been nuts every night since! We’ve been finishing the outside decorations with white pine garland and blue lights…Matt’s favorite. He’s always loved all blue Christmas lights and this year I told him we could do them on the little tree in the front office window and outside – so he was pretty tickled…and they do look nice, I have to admit.

Last Thursday I had dinner with some dear girlfriends, on Friday I went shopping with another, on Saturday we went up to Boone to decorate Matt’s parents’ Christmas tree, and Sunday I cleaned and finished up the lights outside. Tonight…I am ready to sit back, relax, and watch A Charlie Brown Christmas! While things have been nuts, we’ve enjoyed all the good times with family and friends…and during the holiday season it really makes you thankful. We had a good time with Matt’s family, trimming their Christmas tree like we always used to, indulging in a special family dinner together – something we haven’t done in over 3 years. It was special for us all.

This week is bound to fill up with all kinds of last minute things, but I hope to take some time out of the busyness and just pause to really, really be thankful. It’s easy (for a type A personality like me especially) to get so super busy planning and preparing to neglect to just take a deep breath and remember the many, many blessings I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have