Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 12/31/08

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year…a little late, and a little early!

We had a wonderful Christmas week! Naturally it flew by and the reality of WINTER is starting to sink in…but as usual, I will do my best to see the bright side! It sure was pretty to have lots of new snow for Christmas, and since my parents and Matt’s family from Michigan had already safely made it to Iowa, I welcomed the fresh blanket. Of course, it has since mostly been covered in ice and partially melted, so things are a real mess now…but it sure was pretty on Christmas!

Mom and Dad arrived in town on the 23rd and we had some time in the afternoon at our place. It was so great to have them over and just spend time visiting and puttering around the house together. Dad helped me hang up some things, while Matt and Mom supervised, of course. We ordered pizza and relaxed. They were tired after the long trip though, and headed back to their hotel to crash, while we watched some football (what else is there this time of year!?!) and I geared up for the holiday bashes we were hosting over the next few days.

Christmas Eve day was spent hanging out with Mom and Dad, Chad and the kids. Unfortunately, Hope had to work and wasn’t able to join in the festivities until later in the day. But we had fun playing with the kids, watching some Christmas movies and just being together as a family. Once Hope arrived we loaded up and headed to church for the Christmas Eve service…ahh, I just love our church. Small, cozy, warm, and friendly…the service did not disappoint. My favorite part was easily when we turned off the lights, lit the candles, and Pastor Ken read that familiar passage in Luke. We headed home for dinner and gifts, filled with true Christmas spirit. We enjoyed our traditional lasagna supper and then Meghan and I passed out the presents. She was so sure it would take all night because there were ‘hundreds of presents’ under the tree! Luckily, it didn’t take quite that long, since we were getting tired…but fun was had by all as we opened presents and delighted in each one. (Except of course Meghan who was all business and ready to keep things moving! I’m SURE she’s been enjoying them ever since though!)

Christmas morning I was up early to prepare the turkey and get things ready for the next wave, Matt’s family. Matt got up a little later to the lovely smell of turkey wafting through the house. If you’ve never done a turkey in your own house before, I highly recommend it…for the smell alone. It truly just makes the whole house smell like…well, MMM! George, Sandi, and Lissa all arrived a little later in the morning and we ate a yummy breakfast together before exchanging our gifts. Another round of heaps of paper and boxes later and we all surveyed the goods and smiled with gratitude. We cleaned up and moved out those gifts to make room for Matt’s Aunt Linda cousin Heather who arrived around noon for the big turkey dinner. This year, Matt’s grandparents were a little under the weather and didn’t make it down – and their presence was truly missed. They always bring smiles and a certain something special. We enjoyed the rest of the day though with a delicious lunch and a small gift exchange, and then just spending time together. We always look forward to visits with Linda and Heather!

The day after Christmas Heather and Lissa came over to hang out…just us kids. It was a good time to relax, play games, and talk amongst ourselves! The weather turned iffy though, as major fog rolled in. After dinner and S-E-V-E-R-A-L phone calls from worried parents, we decided that Heather should probably stay overnight and not try to venture back to Boone in the dense fog. We all curled up on the couch and watched a movie together, and by then the fog had somewhat lifted and Lissa was able to make it back to her place in Des Moines. Matt, Heather and I settled in for the night, but woke up to freezing rain and an ice warning. After a quick breakfast, and more phone calls to the parents in Boone, Heather decided to try and head back up there before the weather worsened. Luckily, she didn’t have any trouble and was able to get back safely! Matt and I spent the rest of the day relaxing and (of course) watching more football! (It’s Capital One Bowl week, you know!)

All in all, we had a really good time last week, celebrating Christmas with both our families, and each other. We have so much to be thankful for and so many good things to look forward to in the New Year. While things are tough all around us, and the future is unknown, I guess for me it just makes it all that more important to recognize the good things and be grateful for them. This week is the last week for many people I know who recently lost their jobs. This is the first time in my adult life that I’ve really been impacted by things in the business/economic world. It’s tough…and scary. I feel thankful that I still have my job, which has been so good to me over the years…but I feel sad for those who have to start over. At the end of the day, I guess I try to accept that these are things I cannot control…I cannot do anything about them. All I can do is look around me and be grateful and hopeful that the future will be good. And I do know that whatever bumps may come up in our road, Matt and I will ride them out together…


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…