Skip to main content

Thursday Update: 05/31/06

I can’t believe that June is tomorrow! The time is flying by! (I can only hope that the rest of the summer goes so fast with Matt in Omaha!!) Right now, we are preparing for a busy weekend, and then of course, a flurry of activity as we travel to Iowa City and then on to Omaha. My parents are flying in this weekend for a visit and we are so excited to see them. We haven’t seen my Dad since little Matthew was born back in February! I am looking forward to having him here, and I know Matt is looking forward to hanging out and talking cars with him and my brother in law Chad. The three of them are quite the chatty ones when they get together. It seems like Matt is really starting to open up these days, and I’m excited for Dad to see it. My Mom is going to stay on the rest of the week and travel to Iowa City to be there during Matt’s embolization procedure, then stay at our house to watch the dogs. I’m really grateful she’s staying on to be there with us. Matt’s parents will also be there in Iowa City, so he’ll be surrounded by good support. Hopefully the procedure will be successful and the rest of the day will be smooth sailing. We are just really anxious to get it over with and move on with things. I definitely feel like things are working out the way they are supposed to…being able to get the procedure over with before moving to Omaha. It will really allow us to go into the next phase of the journey with peace of mind, and help Matt to focus solely on the tasks at hand in Omaha.
We had a nice relaxing holiday weekend at home. Matt and I were sorry to miss his cousin’s wedding reception in Chicago, but decided a few weeks ago that we didn’t feel that comfortable going. Matt was worried about some of the logistics of traveling, and the added expenses we would incur. There were a lot of variables, but ultimately we decided not to go. We missed the chance to catch up with Matt’s family, but really enjoyed the long weekend at home. We took a drive up around the lake, worked out in the yard/garage, and watched some movies. Sunday we had my sister, brother in law and kids down for the day. We grilled out, made ice cream, and watched Meghan play in the sprinkler. It was a great day! Meghan and Matthew were adorable as always and got lots of lovin’ and attention from their Aunt Emmy and Uncle Matt!

Matt told me this past weekend that he is starting to feel more like himself emotionally…that all along he’s been himself cognitively, but not really emotionally. It was good to hear him talk about his feelings this way. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…everyday I see more and more of the old Matt. It is good that he is starting to feel that way too.

Physically, his walking is still improving. Matt has been working with a four pronged cane in PT and it is really going well. He’s pretty confident that he’ll be able to use that to get around instead of the walker soon. It is our hope that with the increased activity level and therapy at QLI that his walking will really come along. He wants that more than anything. He has been walking up and down the basement stairs without any help from me…not even touching him! He’s completely independent on the stairs. I still stand in front when he goes down, just in case, but he’s been doing all by himself for at least a week. He probably could have done it sooner, but we were a little cautious trying it completely alone. Matt actually decided to do it on his own…he got tired of waiting for me as I turned on the lights in the family room and just started heading on down. Of course he scared the crap out of me as I came around the corner and saw him almost all the way down the stairs! He was pretty darn proud of himself though!

The tremor in his right hand is still there, but seems to be slowly responding to the medication his neurologist prescribed. We hope it is much better before he goes to Omaha, so he won’t have to worry about that and can work on his fine motor skills with it. He is pretty confident that his writing would be great if he could get the tremor to stop…so, we’re hoping for relief from that soon.

All in all, we’re doing pretty well these days. We’re anxious about all the upcoming events, but are trusting in our faith and each others’ strengths to get us through. The next few weeks will be major for our future, and we ask that you continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we face the unknown.


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…