Skip to main content

Friday Update: 09/19/08

Well, it’s the end of another week…another jam-packed busy week! Phew…am I ready to kick back and relax on ‘Football Saturday’! Matt’s TCM treatments with Jay have been going well. It’s so great to be able to ask questions and talk about what parts of the body he’s working on with different needles. He actually ordered bigger/thicker needles to use on Matt and thinks he may use them on more of his patients too…it seems to get the desired results faster than twisting the smaller ones. The other day he placed needles in Matt’s abdomen and talked about how he’s trying to strengthen his stomach and kidneys…that improving strength here will push out strength to the limbs as well. He’s been changing up the needle placement with each visit, so Matt is definitely getting a good variety of acupuncture points!

We also started the herbal therapies last night. We got our teapot and herbs from Jay on Wednesday and I cooked them up last night. Pouring the herbs out, I was surprised at how they looked…not at all what I was expecting! He said last night at least there weren’t any bugs in it…we chuckled…and then quickly realized he wasn’t joking! AHH….there are certain BUGS he could include in the herbs. Oh boy!! Matt’s concoction didn’t look too bad, and I didn’t think it smelled bad either. I boiled them on the stove in the pot for a good 45 minutes and thought it smelled pretty good actually. Matt has to drink ½ a cup twice a day. I took a sip last night…it was pretty bitter, but wasn’t terrible. Matt thought it was nasty, of course. Poor Matt! I also cooked up a batch of porridge for him to eat for breakfast…mmm! So far, he’s taking it all in stride as usual.

We talked to Jay about how long he thinks we should keep up this regimen and he suggests at least 3 months, and then re-evaluate. So, we’re probably going to continue seeing him 4 times a week through the end of the year. It’s a big commitment, but surprisingly we’re both just taking it one day at a time. Typically a schedule like this could easily stress me out…but right now, we’re both feeling pretty good about it. It’s not too bad – we go and he relaxes there while having the treatment, then we head back home for dinner. So far, it’s working out nicely.

This past Tuesday we went to Stroke Club here in Des Moines. It’s just a bi-monthly gathering of stroke survivors and their families. Amy had invited us a while back and we knew they’d be talking about the China Connection this week, so we decided to go. It was also a good opportunity to see Tim and Mary again. It was a little weird at first, being surrounded by so many others who’ve had strokes…mostly because of the age difference between us and most of them. It’s unusual for someone Matt’s age to be in this group of folks…but they welcomed us with warm smiles and hellos. We also got to see a few therapists from Matt’s past at Younker and Penn that we haven’t seen in a while, so that was fun. One of the other couples there was sure that Matt had been at Younker at the same time as them and commented on how much he has improved. It’s hard for me to remember all the folks who have come in and out of our experience, but it’s always good to see someone who knew us back then…for Matt to hear their words and see their expressions when they realize how far he’s come. That’s good stuff!!


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…