Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 09/10/08

Happy Belated Birthday to Matt!!!! Yesterday was Matt’s 33rd birthday! We spent the evening in kind of an unusual way…but it was all good! Matt had his first acupuncture treatment with Jay (the acupuncturist…not his buddy…just to be clear!). We went at 5:30 and didn’t end up leaving there until 7:00! Things just move at their own pace at Jay’s office, and you can’t really rush this kind of treatment. I guess it’s just another way in which TCM is so completely different than our typical medical treatments here in the US.
Matt seemed pretty relaxed in Jay's office and even commented on how happy he was to be having the treatment in IOWA! ('I hear cars outside and I'm so happy because I know there are IOWANS driving those cars') We talked a little more about changes Matt could make to his diet to help promote healing in the various areas he struggles with as Jay placed the needles in Matt’s scalp, face, arm, hand, legs, and feet. The needles Jay used were smaller than the ones Matt had in China, but he may end up using larger needles as they go along. Each needle he placed he would spin to stimulate the area being targeted. He would spin it just until it was getting uncomfortable for Matt…and then move on. He left the needles in for about 20 minutes, then returned to spin them again…and finally removed them after 30-40 minutes total time. He is going to put together a list of books for us to look at and read more about the diet aspects of Chinese healing. It’s going to be interesting…and a bit difficult as well! He stressed the importance of treating the stomach…that all things sort of start there. Matt should eat foods that are easy to digest, not spicy, not phlegm inducing, etc. We talked briefly on some things to avoid, like chicken. This was a shocker to us! As many of you know, we do love our chicken. George and Sandi even bought me an all chicken cookbook one year because I cook with chicken so often!! Well, the Chinese believe that when you eat animals you often take on some of the characteristics of the animal. Chickens and turkeys and other birds are ‘wind’ producing animals…they produce wind in the body. Wind, in Chinese terms, is like wind blowing through the leaves of a tree and can cause ticks and tremors in your body. So, to try and help with Matt’s tremor, Jay recommends he avoid wind inducing animals. Thankfully, Jay is going to help give us ideas and guidelines to follow to help us as we try to implement these changes in our life. He also said to start slow and not try and change everything all at once, or it would just frustrate us. While it’s easy to want to resist them and feel it is impossible to make them…we are both trying to keep an open mind and see what happens. We have nothing to lose…and who knows what the possibilities are? Matt said last night…his mind is WIDE open!!

After treatment we headed over to Pagliai’s where we promptly ate all the things he’s supposed to avoid!! But…in his defense it was his BIRTHDAY and who doesn’t indulge a bit on their birthdays!? We talked over our pizza about the future and the hope we have that this TCM treatment will bring more positive changes. It is exciting! After pizza, of course, Matt wanted some ice cream…so we picked up some DQ on the way home. We finally got home around 9:00 and Matt was able to open his presents from me and my parents. We had gone in together to get him a couple old signs and an oil can that we had seen together a few months ago at an antique store. I remembered how cool he thought they were and knew he’d have fun with them in the garage. I made him sit in the office while I put them in the living room, plugged them in, and turned off the lights. I wheeled him back into the living room with his eyes closed and then let him open up to see them sitting there. He was pretty speechless – it was so cute! He was surprised I had remembered. He’ll have to get his dad to come help him find the perfect spot for them…but I don’t think that’ll be a problem at all! (I think he likes just about any excuse to hang out in the garage.)

All in all, it was a good day for us, and I think a good birthday for Matt. He never likes to make too much of a fuss…but we enjoyed the time together. We’d also had dinner out on Saturday night with his parents to celebrate with them too at Spaghetti Works…another of Matt’s favorite places. So, I’d say he’s had a good birthday!! We have treatments with Jay tonight, Thursday and Friday…and are going to try and schedule it Tuesday-Friday going forward. It is a big time commitment, but hopefully will be well worth it. So far, so good!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have