Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 09/03/08

Today it really feels like fall is in the air. A cold front swept through yesterday afternoon and dropped our temperatures down into the 50’s overnight. We opened up the windows in the evening, only to close them again before bed…because it was TOO cold! I do love the changing of the seasons, but it sure seemed to come quickly. This time of year always comes with mixed emotions, but this year we are ready to step into the next phase of our journey, and I feel like we are in a good place.

We had been discussing the possibility of seeing an Acupuncturist locally, in hopes that coupling some of the TCM treatments with the exercises that Amy had given Matt would help continue to provide improvements. I had been emailing a couple TCM providers over the past week or so and last night we met with one. Right away he put us both at ease with his knowledge, experience, and personality in general. We talked briefly about the treatments Matt has had, the benefits he has seen, and the areas he’d like to continue working on. It was so revealing to talk to someone who could explain better the hows and whys of some of the TCM beliefs and theories. We discussed nutrition and Chinese beliefs surrounding certain foods, which was very interesting to us both. While they had briefly mentioned nutrition being important when Matt first arrived in China, no one was able to sit down and go through what choices they would recommend for him…so he never knew what to try to change about his diet. What struck me most about this particular Acupuncturist is his openness and sincere desire to treat and help people. He explained the costs but he said he didn’t want his schedule, or ours, or finances to prevent Matt from having the most treatment and healing he can get and that he’d be willing to work out an arrangement for time and financing which would be a significant discount to us. I really appreciated that he wasn’t just in it for his business, but rather to help people…and he obviously believes in what he’s doing. That, and the fact that he has been in contact with Ruth and plans to travel to Tianjin for 3 weeks in December to shadow the doctors there, makes him seem like the right fit for us. We left there feeling excited to get started working with him, and hopeful that this is the right next step for us. It just feels like the best of both worlds…the TCM treatments, with the exercises from Amy, and still being here! So, we’re going to dive in head first and commit ourselves to the treatment program and see what happens. I figure, if Matt is willing…I will get him what he needs to make it happen.

In other news, we had a great Labor Day weekend…though it did go by too quickly, as always. On Saturday my friend Amy and I went up to our home town for the wedding of another old friend. Allison and I go way, way back…to 4th grade when my family moved to town. She grew up on a farm and I have many, many memories of running around with the pigs, riding the horses, and exploring all the wonderful nooks and crannies of the farm. She moved out of state after college and I haven’t seen her in several years, so it was great to see her again and celebrate her wedding together with old friends. Just driving around my hometown put me in a nostalgic mood and I was so glad Amy was there to share the evening with. It was fun to take a trip down memory lane and reminisce about people and events.


Sunday we had the Kepler’s over for dinner and quality hang out time. We hadn’t had them all over since Matt got home from China, so we were due! We had fun playing with the kids, watching the race, and just being together as a family. Hope and I took the kids for a walk around the neighborhood, hoping to feed some ducks at the little pond, but they were across the pond from the walking path and apparently didn’t feel like venturing over for the bread we were trying to toss in. We had fun just walking and talking though, the kids just happy to be out in the fresh air running around.

Monday we went furniture shopping and ordered a new sectional for the living room! We wanted something different since Matt got home…something we could both stretch out on…so we spent several hours browsing and ‘trying on’ couches until we finally found one we agreed was perfect. It should be delivered in a few weeks…we are super excited about that!

The fence posts are to be set this Friday…FINALLY…so we can hardly wait to see that go up! It will just be a glorious day when we can open the door for the dogs, and not have to go out there with them. I think I may just have to run around out there with them the first time and revel in the fact that our yard will be contained and defined! Then we can plant some trees…ooh, even more fun! I can’t wait!! (Seriously, I am SO excited to plant some trees!)

Fall is arriving and this year, for the first time in 3 years, I feel ready to take it all in with the joy I used to...without the sadness of what this time of year represents for us. While I’m always acutely aware of the upcoming anniversary, this year I don’t feel it looming over us, like in years past. Maybe it’s because of the exciting things going on with Matt’s treatment, maybe it’s because the grief has faded over time, or maybe it’s just because I’m finally having some kind of peace about where we are in our life together. I’m not sure…but either way, I’m grateful…thankful that right now I feel the seasons changing and I breathe it in and smile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have