Skip to main content

Matt

Please look for updates regularly…I will do my best to make regular updates.

I decided to start this website as a way for me to keep friends and family updated on Matt’s progress. I have been so scattered and so stressed these past few days…I know that I am forgetting things and am having a hard time finding the time or the energy to make the phone calls I should be making. I apologize for not keeping in better touch with everyone…but please know how grateful I am for all the thoughts and prayers. They, and you all, mean so very much to Matt and I. We have been blessed with so many wonderful people in our lives. I cannot stress enough how fortunate I feel to be so showered with your love.

The Beginning:
On Wednesday, September 14th Matt was admitted to the Critical Care Unit at Iowa Methodist Hospital. He had collapsed at home, was unresponsive, and was not exhibiting any intentional movements of his arms or legs. After a few hours in the ER, (during which time the doctors couldn’t seem to believe me when I told him this was NOT a drug overdose) he wasn’t moving his right side. The doctors finally decided to call in a neurologist to look him over. Dr. Struck (the VERY GOOD neurologist) ordered a CT scan to be done immediately. It showed that he had an Intra-Cranial Hemorrhage. The neurologist and neurosurgeon determined that the hemorrhage was inoperable due to its location very deep in the middle part of his brain (the top of his brain stem). They informed us that there was nothing that could be done to treat the hemorrhage. There was no surgery to perform, no medicine to prescribe to fix it…nothing to do but wait.

The Diagnosis:
The hemorrhage was likely caused by a malformed blood vessel. This blood vessel was probably something that he was born with…and just now decided to rupture for whatever reason. There was nothing he did to bring it on, no prior trauma, nothing that could have warned us of this condition. The hemorrhage is located on the left side of his mid-brain. This area of the brain controls various things, such as: speech, swallowing, heartbeat, and eyes. We have also learned that spinal fluid is produced in the ventricles, located at the top of your brain. This fluid drains down through the brain stem into the spinal cord. Matt’s hemorrhage is blocking the natural flow of this spinal fluid, causing the ventricles to swell and pressure to build in his brain. Over the weekend, the doctors watched to be sure that this swelling did not increase. If the swelling continued to increase, a shunt would need to be inserted in his brain to allow the fluid to drain out. Another CT, on Monday, showed that the swelling had gone down and they didn’t need to put the shunt in. Although the improvement was marginal, it was a step in the right direction…which was HUGE to us. We all breathed a sigh of relief that day.

The Bruise Analogy:
They doctors liken his injury to a bruise. In effect, Matt has ‘bruised’ his brain. As with any bruise, they don’t usually show up until a few days after you injure yourself….and then they go away over a period of a few more days. Matt’s bruise is on it’s way back down now, and the hemorrhage should resolve itself over the coming weeks/months. We know that the bruise is not going to get worse at this point, but the progression back to normal will be lengthy.

The Prognosis:
Matt is showing signs of improvement already. We know that the swelling has gone down from Friday…which is a huge victory in itself. He spends most of the day sleeping, which is normal for someone with this type of injury. When he is awake, he’s been opening his eyes, waving, giving a-thumbs up sign, kissing me (YEAH!), holding hands, etc. He is moving both arms and legs and is making intentional movements (responding to itches, pinches, etc) with both sides. He still favors his left arm/hand, but is making progress on the right side with his fingers and waving. We hope that once the hemorrhage has resolved itself that he will have better control over both hands/arms. He’s been responsive most of the time the nurses come in to ask their neurology questions etc. He’s showed signs of recognizing people, places, and remembers that his birthday was just last week. (He also remembers the big cookie I made him and is looking forward to having another one soon.) He says he wants a big party when he’s better where he’ll enjoy another big cookie, homemade ice cream, and (of course) some Jack and Coke! J We are ALL looking forward to that celebration!
Today, the doctors have agreed that he is STABLE (a word I have grown to LOVE) and they are going to be moving him out of CCU and over to the Neurology floor soon. There, he will receive specialized care geared towards patients with these types of injuries. We are all excited that he has been given the ok to leave the unit, but are still looking ahead with uncertainty. We are ready to begin Phase II of this experience, that’s for sure, but it’s always difficult marching in to the great unknown.
Matt is ‘expected’ to make a full recovery. However, we are told it will likely be months before he is 100% back to normal. I am just looking forward to having longer conversations with him and hugging him all the time.

Of course, these past few days have been an emotional roller coaster for us all. We have all been forced into this horrible situation and are trying to deal with it the best way we can. We are all trying to put our faith and hope in the love of God. There are so many things about this situation that show us He is near. 1) Matt was at home when this happened. He could have been on the road, in a hotel room alone, anywhere. 2) I came home 30-45 mins after he did, so he couldn’t have been alone for very long before I got there. 3) We have more financial security now than we ever had and will be able to make it through this time ok. 4) We have loving and unselfish family and friends who are supporting me and helping me through this time. And the list goes on. I am blessed in so many ways…I try to always remember that. I have my moments of frustration, grief, and fear. But I cling to the promises of God and pray that Matt and I will only be stronger for having gone through this experience. If we can weather this storm…we can handle anything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have