Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 9/28/05

Holy cow, can it really be September 28th!?!?!

Matt’s wonderful Aunt Linda sent me a note recently and told me that I should keep a little diary of the blessings that happen during this time. It’s true that you can tend to focus in on the negative things and overlook the wonderful little positive things when dealing with a stressful situation like this. So, I have decided to start each of my updates with something positive.

Earlier today I truly felt like the only positive thing I could say was that I like my new sweater. It has just been one of those days. However, I can now say that there were a few positive things that have happened today:
· After the attempt to insert the feeding tube in his stomach failed (further details to follow) the GI doctor was able to reinsert the feeding tube back in his nose and it was placed correctly the first time so we didn’t have to do 4 more x-rays and have him lay on his side all day.
· The physical therapists said he did even better today with his exercises, even though he was very groggy most of the day.

The day started out pretty rough. Mom got here early and the nurses told her that they had to give him a sedative around 6:30 this morning because he was being too agitated. Of course, we do NOT want him to have these sedatives as it really knocks him out and he loses valuable therapy time. So we were a little upset about that.
Next we head down to do the PEG insertion Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastric Tube (G-Tube)…inserting the tube directly into the stomach. We head down, wait for him to be prepped, wait for an hour as they ‘do’ the procedure, then head back to recovery…where we find Matt sleeping soundly with the tube back in his NOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, we were instantly furious. Turns out that due to his ‘anatomy’ the GI doctor couldn’t see well enough to tell where he was and didn’t feel comfortable poking around much more than he did. I am glad that he realized his limitations and didn’t put Matt at any more risk, but was very upset that he had to have that stupid tube put back in his nose. He is now on the schedule to have the G-Tube inserted tomorrow, and the Radiologist will do it. Apparently, they will go from the outside in this time and shouldn’t have any issues. Please pray that the procedure is a success and we can finally move forward. He has been very groggy all day and will be again tomorrow after his procedure, so we’ve lost 2 days and that is frustrating. At least these procedures buy us more time to get him referred to a skilled care facility. I’m anxious for that next step, to get him doing more therapy and really on the road to normal. I know we have to be patient…and that is the hardest part for me. We all need prayers for that. I know this is going to be a long and painful process and am just SO ready to be moving on from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have