Skip to main content

Monday Update: 05/19/08

In only one week I will be back in China with Matt. It seems like we’re so close now, and just have to hang on a little longer…but for some reason these past several days I’ve found the wait harder and harder. I think I’m just feeling sort of lost…in limbo. Tonight I find my thoughts drifting back to that day. Some of the memories once so vivid and raw have faded…I can no longer remember all the details of what I saw, heard, felt, and said the day I walked in and found Matt laying on the floor. They have blurred themselves into the things I recounted to other people over and over, but the tiny details which used to haunt my thoughts at night have faded. Certain things, however, remain. The sound of Chad sobbing over my shoulder as I cried into my hands, Matt on the gurney in the emergency room, fitful and uneasy…and unresponsive, me standing in the corner in a daze, just willing him to wake up, look at me, and say he was fine, calling my mother in a state of shock and confusion, staring, disbelieving at the x-ray of Matt’s brain as the doctor tried to explain to us what was wrong and not knowing if our life would, or could ever be the same.
We have come so far – and yet there are times when the unfairness of it all just hits me and the tears come again. Stupid things – just seeing a couple in a car…not knowing if Matt will ever be able to drive me around again…a couple walking down the street…not knowing if Matt and I will ever be able to walk hand in hand again…the little things that I know may never be the same. They are things I have long ago pushed aside, focusing on the important things we have to be thankful for…knowing that we will go on, no matter the circumstances. That we WILL make the most of it. That there are many blessings, and indeed there are. But sometimes, like right now, I find it so unfair that the beautiful, wonderful life we had is forever changed. We all lost something that day…for Matt and I, we lost the life we knew and we had to start building a new one with what remained. And we’ve done well…we’ve made it through a lot, which is why I think I am nearing a breaking point of sorts…I just need him back. I’ve lost so many pieces of him, and now I’m ready for this time apart to be over…to begin a new chapter in our new life. I’m grateful for this opportunity, and for the benefits it is sure to bring…but oh has it been hard to be apart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have