Skip to main content

Wednesday Update: 05/07/08

Today I really miss Matt. I think the closer the time comes to go back the more I really, really miss him. Thankfully there are a lot of things for me to do in the coming weeks which should help fill up the time and hopefully make it go by quicker…but in my quiet moments, I just miss him. I’m so grateful that we can talk as frequently as we do, but most times it’s hard to say good bye. Our schedules are so opposite that we never have time to talk very long. And there are so many ‘happenings’ in the day to fill him in on that it’s hard to pick and choose which things to talk about…and still feel like I’m getting all the lowdown on what he’s been up too. It’s hard. It’s just plain hard, I won’t deny it. I am getting by – getting through it – but I do just miss him so much.

Yesterday I discovered that China Connection has updated their website to include patient pages. This is something that they talked about a while ago, as a way for people back home to see what’s going on with the patients there. I’m not sure how much it will be updated, but it’s kind of neat to see the other folks there with Matt. I wasn’t expecting to see it out there…and was tickled to see a new picture of Matt. It brought tears to my eyes really…it was so strange to see a picture of him that I had not seen before…my Matt…of course it made me miss him all the more:

He also told me that the feeling in his little finger has loosened up as well, like his ring finger has. And the other day Professor Bian commented again on how good his progress has been and that he has so much going for him with his youth and strength. They also put needles on the underside of his tongue yesterday too. Professor Bian inserted and removed a needle 3 times…which is a stimulating technique they’ve used on other parts as well like his legs and wrists. This area is supposed to help with speech – so we’ll give it a shot! Matt said it wasn’t as painful as it sounded (THANK GOODNESS), but that it wasn’t a walk in the park either. YIKES! I think I might have gotten a little woozy if I had been there to witness that one!

Matt did have an X-ray and blood work to test for pneumonia, but it all came back clear…so it seems he just has a bug that has to run its course. He’s feeling pretty good, it hasn’t kept him from his treatments or exercises, but the cough and runny nose are getting pretty old he says. He’s also been visiting with several other new patients and their families this week. I think it’s so great that he makes his rounds each evening to say hello to others. This surprised me…and always makes me smile to think about. I am glad that I’ll have the chance to meet some of these other folks and talk about our experiences. I am looking forward to that…the 13 hour plane ride – not so much.

We’ve been talking a lot lately about the party we’re going to have when he gets home. Boy, we just can’t wait! It will be so great to see everyone and I’m so excited to give him the chance to feel all the love and support that’s been waiting for him back here. I imagine his heart will be quite full that day…and I can’t wait for him to experience that!!!


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…